cannonball

Trekking through the snow was something I was long since accustomed to. So when Charlie and Tag stumbled or slipped a bit, I had to always bit my lip to stop any laughter. Declan found it amusing as well but neither of us ever commented. Not even when Tag cursed up a storm and latched onto my arm to get across a particularly icy patch.

"Easy lad," I laughed, snagging the back of his coat when he nearly tripped. We were stomping through the snow, on our way 'home'. He shook his head, sighing. There came then the sound of a bird but it didn't sound as chirpy as it usually did. No, this was a call.

Pausing, we looked around the terrain we were in. Turning with Declan, he spotted Sokanon first when she emerged from behind a boulder. Then, a small girl followed. I waited with the others as Declan approached his chosen-sister, the two regarding one another carefully. "How was Montreal?" she asked.

"It was good," Declan nodded.

"Did you get what you need?"

Declan peered over his shoulder at me before turning to his sister. "Yes." She nodded, peering over Charlie, Tag, and I before looking back to Declan. "Who's the kid?"

"She was stolen. I'm taking her to Kamenna to live with the Lake Walkers."

Declan chuckled uncomfortably. "Uh, no. I need you with me."

Sokanon took a step forward, a fierce look in her eyes. "I need to do this." The two stared each other down, a power struggle for Declan. He wanted his orders obeyed but didn't want to say no either. Not to Sokanon who was doing a good and noble thing. "Michael's expecting you with a way through that wall."

"I know. I'm working on it," my husband nodded. He peered at us again, Tag shivering as he had no coat.

"Good. You should go. He needs you."

Looking to the kid, Declan spoke, "You do as she says."

I smiled a bit as he pulled his sister closer and kissed her forehead. She smiled just a hint, her stoic expressions reminding me heavily of Little Fish. She watched us as Declan turned to join us, effectively signaling our departure. "Meera!" she called, making me look up just as Declan arrived back to my side. She looked like she was struggling for words. "Thank you.. for keeping him safe and bringing him back."

I smiled, my husband lacing his hand with mine. "I told you I had his back and would not let you down."

"You're a woman of your word," she nodded.

"I try to be," I smiled some. When she had no more to say, Declan and I bade her one last smile before departing. We trekked on, our hands losing one another as our footing required a bit of balance. I shook my head as Tag slipped a few times, him grumbling.

"How can ye walk through this so easily?" He snapped.

"Lived in this for a portion of my life. Worse conditions. This snow and climate is nothing compared to ours," I chuckled.

"I can attest," Declan nodded. "Pretty brutal before you get used to it."

Tag continued to grumble, shivering in his boots the closer we neared Fort James. And I never saw someone look so damn grateful as he when we did finally make it. Declan took the lead then, edging us into the Fort's boundaries as we still crept around. He knew these woods best so we stayed low and followed his lead. There were a line of Red Coats there, one a commander and barking orders.

We ducked behind a create, Declan's hand circled around mine. We watched as the one screamed in his men's faces, further dismissing them all. "Can you distract them?" Declan asked.