the sins of the father

"Grandfather, Great Spirit, once more behold me on earth and learn to hear my feeble voice,"

-Black Elk

I jumped when my bedroom door flung open. In rushed Miss Amanda, the maid that was assigned to help me. She looked frazzled and worried, her eyes red tinted from crying perhaps. She ran about the room, repeating, "get up miss! We've got to go hide!"

"What's going on?" I asked, sitting up in alarm and barely noticing the pain to my side. "Amanda, please, what's wrong?"

"He's here! In the castle, that Declan Harp!"

"Where?" I demanded, standing from the bed and shrugging on the long dressing robe. "Where Amanda?"

"I dont-"

"Tell me where, damn it!" I snapped, grabbing her by the front of her dress. She gasped a bit, looking at me in mild alarm as she trembled.

"I-I heard the Lord giving instruction to have men assembled in the courtroom," she finally uttered out. "Please, miss, we need-"

"No, you can stay here to hide, no harm will come to you, I'll assure it," I rushed, shoving my feet into a pair of provided slippers. "I've got to go."

"Miss, he's dangerous-"

"Do not tell me my husband is dangerous," I snapped out. "He'd not harm a hair on me, I will be safe the moment I get to him. Now, since you're so scared, stay here."

I didn't wait for her answer, turning and rushing from the bedroom. I knew vaguely where the courtroom was, rushing and sliding over the floors to reach my husband. My adrenaline was pumping, my mind only taking slight notice of the lack of soldiers present. I took twists and corners, trying my absolute best to local where this courtroom was.

And then, I passed through a room, rushing to the other side where I saw the open doors. I ran forward, seeing warm light and knowing something was in there. I came to a skidding halt behind Lord Fisher, gasping at the scene. Lined all along the walls were soldiers, Red Coats. There, on a slight platform, was Lord Benton. And in the middle of it all was Declan Harp.

I was at a loss for words, Declan turning at the commotion as my entrance caught everyone's attention. We weren't given any opportunity to speak as Benton beat us to it, "I don't suppose he took you up on your offer?"

"No, Archibald," Fisher responded, eyeing me. I took a few steps from him but not towards Declan. There were too many guns pointed at him right now. His eyes swept over my form, taking in the thin dressing gown I was in, my bump a bit more visible. They stopped over my belly, me smoothing a hand along it to show the bump was there and real. "He did not."

"Ah, Miss Meera. Glad to see you out of bed, welcome," Benton sneered. "Now, tell me the truth. You must have been just a little tempted? The prospect of taking charge in the New World," Benton continued, Declan tearing his eyes from me to glare at the man who ruined his life. Benton descended the stairs he was on, moving towards Declan now. "Like your own little fiefdom."

"I don't think the way you do," Declan gritted out.

"No..... I suppose not. Had you thought the way I do it would have been much more difficult to trap you the way we have. Or all those poor friends of yours who've died because of you." My breathing audibly hitched. Friends? What friends? Not Tag or Charlie, right? Did he mean more? Did Declan have friends here in Scotland too? I felt tears swelling in my eyes once more. "Was it worth it? And even now, at this very moment, your very few remaining friends engage in a futile battle with my men." Well, that was a bit more comforting. I knew for a fact McTaggart was too stupid and reckless of a killer to be killed so easily. "Once they learn of your demise, they will lose the will to fight. And they too, will die. And after, I'll have this pretty little thing you saved once upon a time killed too. And that babe in her belly," this sentiment made Declan clench his hands and for me to gasp in fear. "And for what? This futile attempt to challenge me, and spirit Miss McMullan and Miss Emberly away?" He had been stalking closer to Declan, coming to a halt finally. "Well, tell me, son, how does it feel to have failed so abysmally? Choose your words carefully, or they will be her last," Benton glared towards me, one of the solider's pointing their rifle at me.