all for all and none for one

"The greatest gift of human beings is that we have the power of empathy,"

-Meryl Streep

Grace had been swept away to her father. I knew all about it, she told me the night before. And in turn, I told her how the maid had discovered my pregnancy and I was sure it was only a matter of time she told Benton. We came up with a ruse that my husband had been named Jacob McMullan as to not alert the Lord of my family's name. And that it was his death that made me leave the family that adopted me. We had the same storyline as Declan and I so in a way, we weren't lying.

He died and I discovered I was pregnant only after it. Yes, that was our plan. I was bathed and given new clothes but I had a limp from the bullet wound. I was given free reign of the castle, Benton insisting on it so I could regain my strength. I didn't argue, spending every possible minute lurking around.

And thank God for that otherwise I might not have known Chaulk had been captured and was being interrogated by Benton now. CHAULK! That meant Declan was here already- he was here and coming for us. I turned and bolted to my room as quick as possible, throwing the doors open and approaching the desk.

Using the pieces of parchment provided and the ink, I scribbled a note to Declan with the hopes of smuggling it out with Chaulk.

My love- I am alright for now. The bullet wound has not healed but the babe is fine. They grow daily. I fear for my days here- they are numbered. I miss you and dream of your face nightly. I love you, please save us. I do not know for how much longer I'll be of any use to Benton.

I tore it from the larger sheet and folded it carefully. I turned and rushed from my room once more, searching high and low for where Chaulk possibly was. I waited around the corner, lurking and listening. First, Benton emerged from the hidden room. He turned in the direction of me, Chaulk being lead out after him.

I took a few steps back and took a deep breath. With the note flat in my palm, I turned on a mask of innocence and moved to round the corner. I gasped some for dramatic effect, nearly running into the Lord himself.

"Miss Meera," he soothed, not looking too fazed by my appearance.

"Oh, Lord Benton... Captain," I nodded to the solider. "Uh, Chaulk?"

The Captain nodded back, Chaulk looking at me with wide, wild eyes. "What are you doing about?" Benton asked.

"Oh, you said I could walk around? Explore a bit, remember?"

"Oh, yes, how silly of me," he nodded, shaking his head. "Of course. Find anything of interest?"

He was fishing to see if I had overheard any of their conversation. I feigned excitement to throw him off a bit. "Oh yes. It's my first time in a castle. It's quite amazing. I do think I'd like to live in one some day, this is quite grand."

"Ah, glad to hear you're enjoying yourself," Benton nodded.

"Can you point me in the direction of your library? I heard the maid speaking of it and am curious."

"Ah, yes. First off, allow me to offer my congratulations and sympathies. You glow with pregnancy bliss but to raise a child without it's father?" He tisked his teeth. "Terrible, truly. The library is down that hall, there. Second door on the right," he directed me. "We must be off."

"Well, glad to see Miss Chaulk is back," I smiled some. "Glad you changed your mind and showed yup here. Well, it's nice to see you, Chaulk," I grabbed for her hand to 'shake', slapping the paper into her palm and eyeing her. "If you'll excuse me, however, I'm going to utilize the library and limited freedom I have. Captain," I nodded, sliding my hand from Chaulk's and breathing a small sigh of relief when she concealed the note well. "Lord Benton," I nodded as well before turning and walking away in the pointed direction.