keetom takooteeoo maheekun

Morning came swiftly and with it, orders given to soldiers to search every which way for Declan Harp. I frowned, us peering from behind a large wooden crate and watching the men dash by with their muskets. We were in an alleyway, just waiting for someone to pass by.

"Here we go," Declan whispered, ducking behind the crate as one solider paused and maneuvered his way down towards us. I knew the drill, staying low, quiet, and never seen. I nodded as his footsteps were heard and my husband prepared.

When the solider was in view, Declan's hand snatched around his neck and left him to gargle his air. I moved, letting my lover shove the lad into the wall of fence. Swiftly, his fist connected to the lad's face and silenced him.

I shook myself as we let another gaggle of soldiers pass before stepping out. I kept my head down and distance short, blending in with the population of the locked-down fort. I followed his lead, sticking to alleys and shadows. We neared an area decently covered, his body crouching. "I have at least one friend left in the Fort. If we're going to survive this, we'll need her help."

"Grace?" I asked.

"The very same," he nodded. I agreed, staying low and patient as we waited for her. I wasn't sure how she knew to come find us but when Declan sprang up and wrapped his hands around her mouth, I didn't question it. "Grace," he spoke her name, my body pressed between his and the barrels we hid behind. "Are you alright?"

She looked startled, like she was seeing a ghost. Pale skin, lively hair, but wide eyes that allowed me to believe my observations true. "Am I alright?" she repeated. "Have you lost your bloody mind, stealing those furs?"

"I'm sorry," Declan apologized.

"Sorry?" she repeated, again. The two regarded each other, her eyes flickering over me too. "I suppose one of ye is bleeding somewhere?"

Declan's hand was clenched around my forearm, using it to help stable him. He's had a limp, his stance swaying as he readjusted. "It's nothing."

"And you?" she asked me.

"Nothing but a few minor cuts and bruises, ma'am," I answered.

"Lets get you two off these streets and out of this Fort," Grace spoke with a fierce and wild determination I was impressed by.

I swayed on my own feet, nausea swirling inside of me as Declan took my hand and looked to me in concern. "What is it?"

"Nothing," I waved. "Just been getting sick on the occasions."

"What?" He asked, looking into my eyes. "Why haven't I-"

"McTaggart was usually the one to wake and hold my hair back," I chuckled. "I'm fine. Let's go."

"You sure?" Grace asked, kindness in her voice. "We can-"

"No, lets go. The sooner, the better, ey?"

Declan nodded, hand clasped in mine tightly as he then gave Grace the okay. She lead us around the Fort, creeping here and there and keeping to the perimeter of things. She was stealthy, nobody ever looking twice at her as she helped us along. The morning sun was up now, caressing our cheeks as the cold left them pinkish.

We paused along the back of what looked to have been an old shed. "It's clear," she confirmed, having a look into the window. We moved forward, exposing ourselves for only a moment as Grace opened the door and let us all slink through. I breathed a small sigh of relief when inside, standing by the other woman as Declan handled the door.

"They've closed the west gates," she spoke, wrangling her gloves in hand. "Maybe we can sneak you over the wall."

Looking around, Declan replied, "Unless you've got a 15-foot ladder in here."