la fin du monde

Fanaticism is nowhere. There is no tenderness or humanity in fanaticism.

-Joe Strummer

"Christ," I wheezed, leaning on a tree in support. "Christ Almighty, I'll kill every fucker responsible for making me this tired."

"Alright?" Grace asked, pausing to check on me as chalk pushed on.

"No but yes," I waved, shoving myself off the tree. We'd been running all night, no rest for our wicked desperation.

"You need rest," she pushed me back, making me halt. "Chaulk! Wait!" The girl ran back to our sides, my heaving for breath as I pressed my hand into my lower gut. "Listen...."

"I don't hear anything," I supplied, back against the tree.

"They're not coming..." Grace looked around, eyes swiping from side to side. "We'd hear the dogs or-or-or voices at least."

"No, I don't trust it. He's not going to let us get away."

"Well, we got a head start. We should keep moving.."

"Wh-what are you looking for?" Chaulk asked, watching as Grace searched around us.

"Landmarks, so we don't get lost," she answered, eyeing all around.

"Alright, Miss?" Chaulk asked, looking to me.

"Good," I nodded. "Just needed the break. Let's go, I'll not be Benton's captive again."

We nodded, collectively turning and rushing away. I sighed heavily, following them as my chest burned and my stomach cramped. We'd lasted the night, that was a good sign. If we kept moving, we'd be okay. I prayed repeatedly, hoping what I was saying was going to happen.

We pushed on, dodging trees and leaping over small creeks. I was pushed to my limits, the taste of freedom making me push on. Just the thought of seeing my husband again kept me going; there was so much pain and suffering and just seeing him again was going to be so worth it. I needed to get to him and soon.

We moved out of the woods, heading for the cliffs and all the rocks there at their edge. I stumbled over the rocks, grunting a few times as my feet would get caught on the cracks and loose stones. "Miss Chesterfield? What happens if we get caught?"

"Well, if we get caught, I'll say I took you as my prisoner. And I took Meera cause she was stolen in the first place," Grace replied, hopping around the cracks and uneven rocks.

"Ah!" Chaulk cried out. "I've seen what he can do. He's gonna cut me from me belly to me chin."

"Hey," I stopped Chaulk, turning her teary face to look at me. "You're going to be okay, you hear? Not gonna let him harm you." She looked like she was ready to sob, leaching onto me and letting loose a few tears in my chest. I sighed and smoothed a hand over her hair and back, soothing her some and shushing her to get her to stop crying. "You're alright. Dry your eyes, we gotta keep moving."

"Put it out of your mind, Chaulk," Grace advised.

"I can't," The girl sobbed, still holding onto me.

"Look, if we keep moving and you stay close, we'll be safe. Just.. stay close to me, you understand?" She waited as Chaulk nodded and let me go. I smoothed over her shoulder once more before we were pushing forward. "You'll make a great mother," Grace whispered. I winked at her. We moved on, stepping only a few steps more before she was speaking again. "It's important you know who's on your side."

"Shit, Grace," I hissed to her, seeing the emerging Red Coats. She turned and saw what I did, us turing to look for an escape route but instead of seeing an out, we saw more Red Coats. My head snapped over to see Chaulk rushing onto the nearest peak and throwing her hands up.