wanted

"Come to bed," I groaned, head pounding as Declan moved away from me. "Stop, it's too cold, love."

"I know," he bent down and kissed my forehead. "But we've got to eat. Get some more sleep, by the time you wake I'll be here."

I nodded, eyes drooping as I was left to the warmth left from where he laid. I hummed as he pressed a kiss to my lips, hand gripping mine before he made his departure. I snuggled deeper into our bed and let my mind be at peace, slipping into a sleeping state.

Maybe an hour later, I was waking to the sound of yelling. I sat bolt right up in bed, hearing someone yelling at a Gavin. But.....we were the only ones around here. We had to trek miles to the nearest village to make trades- who was out here?

Oh, God. Declan!

I leapt from bed and shimmied into my usual layers and stuffing my feet into my boots. I rushed from the tent as I heard a gunshot. I flinched out of instincts, grabbing my bow and arrows before looking around. There was nothing in front of us but the sounds were from the back. I rounded the tent as saw 3 figures. One was left unmoving on the ground. The second was Declan and he was moving without injury. The third was on his knees and Declan was approaching him.

I rushed forward, careful to not bring attention to my footsteps. My bow was notched as I neared them, the man moving to splay on his back and hold his hands up. My eyes were wide but I knew one thing- Declan had been threatened and I was not okay with it. Not in the least bit!

"How'd you find me?" He asked, voice low and seemingly even.

"We saw you hunting with the old man, young lady, and the girl," the red head admitted.

"You stay away from them," He seethed, eyes darkening.

"I won't bother them, I promise," the man shook his head. Now, I could see an axe? Tree branch? Something was protruding from his shoulder, leaving his arm useless.

"I want to be left alone," Declan spoke again. "If I let you live, you never saw me. See, I don't want to have to kill you in front of my lady," he nodded, eyes traveling to me. I had no idea he even knew I was here.

The red head snapped his head over and saw me, arrow still pointed right at his head. He looked to be quaking where he laid. "I swear it, I'd not want her to see it either."

"Say it."

"I never saw you."

Could he be trusted? If Declan let him go, word would surely spread over his location. And then what? What about us? Where would we all go? Why were they after Declan in the first place? Was there some kind of manhunt out for him?

I lowered my arrow but didn't unnotch it as Declan moved forward and removed his own weapon from the man's back. I grimaced a bit as it seemed to look just as painful as it sounded. The man groaned in pain. "What happened to your arm?" Declan asked, crotched again but now armed.

I knew him to be a dangerous man, good with weapons with a sharp mind and sharper aim. It didn't bother me much but my worry for him was all I really could feel right now. I wasn't scared, there was no looming threat. Except the threat Declan Harp is to this cowering, bleeding European right now.

"I-I fell on a rock outcrop, cut it open," the man made up, seemingly to try and impress my lover.

"And Kavanagh?" I looked back to the dead body before refocused on them. "What happened to him?"

"Uh, he fell in a river. Hey?" The man was panting. "He drowned. He's dead. In a river. He's gone."

"I can see it in your eyes," Declan spoke after eyeing the man closely. He stood, "you're a poor liar. Love?" he looked up at me, gripping the brach tightly. "Look away for me?"