lost

I sat perched on Declan's lap as he and his friend caught up and spoke, a bottle of wine shared between us like it was communion. I didn't dare take more than a few sips, being so long without anything other than water, I knew I was a lightweight and that we weren't 100% safe yet.

"What's that?" Declan asked, seeing his companion place something on the table before us.

"I almost threw these in the river I don't know how many times." The man walked away, Declan looking at him before the wrapped pouch. I stepped away from him, his arm reaching out to expose whatever was wrapped up. Weapons, it looked like. But it made Declan smile. He admired a few as the Scotsman poured himself another drink.

"I almost had him."

"Well, there's less chance of taking him down now he's in London. That's his world."

"Well, if I can't have Benton, I'll take his Company."

"Terrible logic," I rolled my eyes, admiring a few things on the walls.

"Won't bring him back," McTaggart shook his head.

"We'll see about that." I turned when I heard footsteps.

"And what, give him a chance to do to her what he did already?" I frowned, seeing Declan approaching his friend. With a growl, he launched a knife into the bar top between them.

"Not a chance. Join me. I need people I can trust."

"You need cutthroats, plain and simple." I watched the two, their eyes starring the other down to locate a lie, an emotion, something they needed to locate. "To vengeance, the fickle bitch."

I smiled a bit at their toast, the man seemingly agreeing when there came a sound of a whip cracking and a groan from outside. There came more, my confusion heightening as Declan and McTaggart turned and headed for the door. "Love," Declan stopped me before the two could exit. "Stay in here. Nobody needs to know you're here as well, it'll make you a target."

"Dec-"

"He's right," McTaggart spoke. "If we go out, they'll assume none others are in here. You can spy from any of the windows, however," he grinned, his teeth blackened.

I sighed and nodded. "I'll loose any arrows if I see any of them putting you in situations you cannot get out of."

Declan chuckled, threading a hand through my hair. "She's a keeper, that one," McTaggart nodded.

"She really is," Declan nodded. He pressed his lips to mine before moving them to my forehead. "Stay here, stay hidden. I love you."

"I love you," I nodded, sighing as he and the other man left. I moved to one of the windows, seeing the two stop before the scene. The dark man was tied to a post and was being whipped by a white man while two others stood and watched with torches. Barbaric.

I saw McTaggart say something before patting Declan's chest and move back towards the door. But my lover did not move. Instead, he paused, eyes glaring hatefully at the scene before starting forward and making his friend pause. I watched as Declan stood right next to the man being whipped, glaring at the white man who was doing the bidding.

"Declan, what?" I whispered, seeing him conversing with the man tied up. He moved so he was protecting his exposed back, cutting him free. Declan made some remark, the man limping towards McTaggart before the whip cracked and came down upon Declan's back.

I gasped, eyes wide as my man grimaced but stood tall still, only barely flinching. McTaggart brought the man in, my eyes still set on the commotion outside. "Oh, that there's his lady. Don't mind her, she's very protective of him."