Marshall's Answer

Nearly a month later, Rally's song was still in the top forty and I was still thinking about her. I hadn't called her yet, though I'd texted myself from her phone the night I met her, so I could if I wanted to. I didn't, however, because I wasn't sure that I should.

Although I was more than a little interested in Rally, I didn't get the sense from her that she was looking to start something up. I snorted as I thought about it. That was a fucking excuse and I knew it. The real reason I hadn't called her was that I wasn't sure how to go about dating anymore. I'd had one substantial relationship in my life and it had been a disaster in a million different ways. All the others had been brief, fiery flashes in the pan that had no foundation to them whatsoever. Rally, on the other hand, seemed like the kind of woman that a man could have something real with – if only I could figure out how to make that happen.

"Hey," Paul called as I walked into his office. I gave him a nod, but I was still tied up in my thoughts. He waited until I sat in the chair opposite him and narrowed his eyes.

"You gonna say whatever has you so occupied?" He asked and I started to speak when my phone rang. I was going to silence it, but I saw that it was Rally calling. I gave Paul a look and mimed that I was sorry and answered.

"Yo." I said into the line and I heard her soft chuckle respond. Her voice reminded me of August nights - warm and dark.

"Hi, Marshall." She said and I grinned.

I hadn't told her what to call me when we'd met and we'd been interrupted shortly after I gave her my number at that party a month ago. A lot of people flub over what to call me, confused between my given name, stage name, and alter ego. It sounded like Rally didn't have that problem. I saw Paul's eyebrows raise on my response to her and I got up from my chair to walk toward the windows overlooking the town.

"What's up?" I asked, hoping that she'd called me because she couldn't get me off her mind, much like I hadn't been able to shake memories of her from mine.

"How strongly do you feel about despising industry events?" She asked and I shrugged as I spoke.

"Depends on the event. Sometimes they're cool. A lot of the time, they suck." I answered honestly.

"I have this thing my producer wants me to go to, but I don't really have a date." She said and I smiled again. I liked the sound of part of that sentence. "I was wondering if you wanted to come with?" She asked, her voice turning slightly shy at the end. "Or is that a no-no in this world?" She continued. "I'm still getting used to all the unwritten rules." She said with resignation, as if I'd told her no.

"Fuck 'em." I said. "What event?" I asked and I could hear the smile in her voice as she spoke.

"It's a fundraiser. It'll have a bunch of country and pop stars, though... " Her voice faded. "You will probably hate that. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have asked." She said, her voice sadder than a moment ago. "I don't want you to be uncomfortable just because I have to be."

I shook my head, pleased that she cared enough to be concerned. While I'd usually tell her that there was no way in hell I was going to something like this, I wanted to see her again. If she'd called me because she wanted company for this bullshit, then I'd tough it out and go. Worst case scenario, I'd convince her to bail with me.

"I'll go. When and where?" I said and I swore I could hear a muffled squeal on the other end of the line. "Did you just squeal?" I asked, amused as fuck.

"Uh. Shit. Well, you see... Damn it." She said muttered into the line and I almost laughed. This was the best call I'd had all month. "Look, I don't lie, ok? So, if you could just not ask me that, it would save me from the floor swallowing me whole." She said and I couldn't help the chuckle that came out. I hadn't thought of anyone as adorable in a long ass time, but she was certainly that.

"Alright. You were going to tell me where and when?" I said and I heard her sigh in relief.

"Right. It's at the old Metro building in Detroit, which is why I was hoping it wouldn't be too much torture for you. It is 'country' black tie, which means you can wear jeans and they can all suck it if they have a problem with it." She said and I grinned. I liked her attitude. "Although, I'll probably have to stuff my poor feet back into heels." She muttered.

"Anyway," she continued. "It's in three days." She said hesitantly and my brows came together.

"Am I a last option, baby girl?" I said, the endearment slipping out.

"No!" She said quickly. "I wasn't planning to go at all, but my producer put his foot down on me about ten minutes ago. Apparently," she said with a sigh, "there are certain things expected of me. Whatever that means." She groused and I nodded. I knew how she felt. It came with the territory.

"Alright. I'll pick you up. Send me the other details when you can?" I asked and she gushed into the phone, which would usually make me uncomfortable, but which I couldn't help but like when it was her.

"Oh, thank you so much Marshall!" She cried. "I'm going to find out your favorite dessert and make you some!" She said right before she hung up the phone. I looked at it, bemused by her reaction but happier than I had any right being from just a phone call. I tucked the device into my pocket and turned to look at Paul, who had a shit-eating grin on his face.

"What?" I asked, my slight smile falling from my face as I looked at him.

"Don't you 'what' me." Paul said back. "Tell me what that was all about." He said with a twirl of his finger and I sighed as I walked back over to the chair I'd been sitting in and flopped into it.

"I'm going to a fundraiser in a few days." I said and Paul choked on the coffee he was drinking.

"You're what?" He asked, disbelief heavy in his tone. I just gave him a look, unwilling to repeat myself. He dabbed at the coffee that had spilled to his chin and cocked his head at me.

"You called the person on the other end of that call 'baby girl'." He said and I just stared at him. "Are you seeing someone in the industry?" He asked and I shrugged.

"Chill. It's just a night out."