10 ~ Snakes & Basilisks

Harry's POV

Hermione was chatting with Annabeth somewhere, so Ron and I walked to dinner ourselves. I saw Fred and George laughing and talking to a Slytherin girl, who I recognized as Drew.

Ron stomped over.

Drew spied him and said calmly, "Hey Weasley."

Then Ron pulled the twins away from her, "She's a Slytherin!" he hissed at them.

Drew must have heard, "Excuse me?" she crossed her arms and scowled at him, "I can't talk to them because I'm a Slytherin?"

"Yeah!" Ron shot back, "All Slytherins are evil!" he said it like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

She snarled, "Not all Slytherins are as bad as you think Weasley. Is Professor Snape evil? I admit he's not very friendly, but he is on our side, Harry proved it. The Slytherin House stands for the cunning and ambitious, not the evil and the cruel."

"Er...Ron, she's not that bad you know," Fred said.

"I saw you punch a third-year Gryffindor!" I said.

"And what does that prove? I've seen Hermione punch Malfoy."

"She had a good reason! He called her a Mudblood!"

"Potter," she hissed, "I had a good reason too you know. I know I get annoyed and angry easily, Leo's told me that plenty of times, but I never hurt the innocent. You think I punched that kid just because I like torturing little kids? Well you're wrong, I punched him because he was doing what you two are doing now! Accusing me of being evil just because I'm a Slytherin!"

"Back up a minute," Ron protested. "You—"

"This is why my Slytherin friends don't like you Gryffindors, you judge people so fast. You already think my friends are Death Eaters, and that Nico is somehow Voldemort's son! If a first year girl and another first year girl started talking at Diagon Alley, she would think that she's really cool huh? Then they start to be good friends. Then when one gets sorted into Slytherin, and the other gets sorted into Gryffindor, the Gryffindor automatically hates her!" the way she said it, it sounded like that Slytherin girl was her. "She didn't even come to apologize, just completely ignored me!" Yup, it was her. "One time I came up to her and asked if we could still be friends. She just glared at me and said, 'Slytherins and Gryffindors can't be friends' "

"Um...I think we should go," George said nervously, then the Weasley twins scurried away.

"But, if she was friends with you," I said, "everyone would say that you don't deserve to be friends with her, or that she don't deserve you. Slytherins and Gryffindors would hate you."

"Did you know, at first Percy and Annabeth were supposed to hate each other? Their parents have been worst enemies since forever. And two cabins at Camp Wizardry were enemies for centuries. They were always competing and arguing about who were the better fighters. It was Annabeth's and Clarisse's cabin. Then when Alice and Mark got together, both cabins hated them, then gradually they started to accept it. And most Slytherins already hate me! Like Malfoy, he keeps trying to threaten me with his father. Like his father can do anything! He doesn't have 'direct connections to Cornelius Fudge himself' anymore!"

"But my family are—"

"Blood traitors?" Drew finished for him, "Mine are too! Did you know that? I'm in the Slytherin House, so nobody suspects that my family are blood traitors, not even that Malfoy jerk."

"She must be lying..." Ron said.

"And now you're accusing me of lying! I used to live with Muggles! And Nico is not Voldemort's son, I'm sure of that. I know Leo. He doesn't lie. Unless, you know, he has a trick up his sleeve or something."