12 ~ Scaly Corpses

Percy's POV

"She's dead?" Ron asked, voice wavering. When nobody answered, he Ron continued to stare at us hopelessly.

Finally, Nico confirmed it. "Yeah, she's...gone."

I reflexively took Annabeth's hand. She seemed at a loss, "Why though? Why did it come here? There are no...demigods." She said that last part in Greek.

"No what?" Hermione asked suspiciously.

"Americans," Annabeth lied. "One of us, I mean. I think it might want to kill us for some reason. You know, first Katie, then Thalia. It also tried to kill Nico and Luna."

Hermione looked confused, "But Luna didn't come with you guys."

"Oh, but she's my half-sister," Annabeth said casually.

"Really?" Hermione asked, narrowing her eyes, "I didn't know she had a half-sister."

"Well, you can ask her yourself," Annabeth looked around at the crowd of students gawking at Eliza, "someone get a teacher!"

"Oh gods," Nico said, grabbing Annabeth. "The basilisk is gone. I swear it was dead!"

We all spun to stare at the mess of blood and scales on the floor, the actual serpent nowhere to be seen. The only evidence of where it had gone was the gaping hole in the wall.

Percy swore, "It went back in the pipes."

"We should fix that hole," Annabeth said, "we don't want the basilisk just staring out and killing people looking in. Reparo." The wall fixed itself.

Connor's POV

When Leo, Travis, and I were getting to History of Magic, I heard a hiss behind me, and something that sounded like scales scraping the wall. Then I felt someone's breath on my head.

"Is it just me," I asked nervously, "or is the basilisk right behind us?"

Leo let out a strained laugh, "It's not just you —"

"RUN!" Travis shouted. We dropped our bags and ran ten yards before whipping around, still keeping our eyes tightly shut.

"It's back from the dead," Travis said to us really fast, "killing it won't do any good, it'll just come back good as new. It regenerates too fast. we need to knock it out so someone can lock it up some place."

I was swinging my sword at the air in front of me because I couldn't open my eyes, "What about the Full Body-Bind?"

"Petrificus Totalus!" Travis yelled.

I could still hear the snake moving. Travis and I tried again, but we had the same result. We even tried the Stunning Spell.

"Aw schist," I said, "either we have terrible aim or it has some kind of protection."

I tried Obscuro, but I didn't want to risk looking in case that didn't work either. I tried to feel for Leo but couldn't find him, "Leo, can't you track its heat or something?"

No reply.

"Leo?!" Travis yelled.

No reply again. I swore, "He was looking at his phone! He got turned to rock, we've got to save him!"

We ran back. I didn't swing my sword, just held it out. I didn't think Leo would like getting sliced in half, even in rock form. The basilisk knocked over something solid, and I screeched to a stop, realizing the sound had come from only three yards away.