4. Hollow Emotions

"It's hard to love someone when you aren't able to love yourself first

"It's hard to love someone when you aren't able to love yourself first."

MAYA

When I was discharged, dad and I dropped by my old house to collect my last belongings. I entered my big room to find it just like it looked three months ago. The only difference was, it was empty. All of my furniture was gone, leaving only a few boxes behind with my last belongings inside.

Dad was downstairs, talking to John about the house, which belonged to him until I turned eighteen. Apparently, mom left it for me to inherit.

I sat down on the floor and went through all the boxes to make sure everything was packed in them. I found my pink shoebox in one of the boxes. The small note taped to the cover of the box said, Unspoken Words and when I opened it another note said, Warning: Don't open this. Maya Greene.

I briefly looked through all the quotes I had collected. When my gaze landed on a particular one, I held the sticky note in my hand where the quote was written on. There is someone out there in this world who feels better because you exist.

It made me remember the text I got. The question was, who sent it?

I sighed and stood up, but only to turn around and find John standing so close to me that his cold breath touched my face. My heartbeat instantly tripled and I felt my blood run cold in my veins.

He was wearing a black suit and his hair was styled back perfectly. There was something about the vibe radiating off him that I couldn't put my finger on. Did he get his job back or something? That seemed impossible because I could clearly see that he was still an alcoholic by the sight of his aged and strained face.

He smiled wickedly. "Maya. You're finally discharged. How are you doing?"

I didn't reply. Instead, I tried to look anywhere else, but into his disgusting brown eyes.

"I've missed you," he whispered, his finger trailing down my cheek, leaving shivers down my spine.

"You don't want to leave, right? This is your house. Our house. You belong here with me. You're seriously not thinking of leaving with your dad, are you? I mean, have you forgotten the day he left you and your mom and you were both completely heartbroken?"

His words stung and I took a small step back. However, he grabbed my wrist and when I tried to pull away, his grip only tightened.

"Don't go. You're mine. You're my slut," he whispered, coming closer to me and curling a strand of my hair around his finger. "I'll take good care of you. I promise."