41. Loud Minds

"Love is what makes you smile when you're tired

"Love is what makes you smile when you're tired."

MAYA

I stormed into my house, dashed upstairs to the bathroom and slammed the door shut behind me. Slowly, I sunk down against the door with my arms around myself, my sobs filling the hollow void within the four walls surrounding me.

Tipping my head back, I squeezed my eyes shut, balled my hands into fists till my nails dug into my palms. My heart and pulse was thundering in my ears.

From when I stormed through the school, the students' whispering voices echoed in my mind.

Shit. What happened to her face?

Did Cayden hit her?

That guy is seriously fucking scary.

Did you see what he did to Nathan two weeks ago?

I gripped my head from either sides and bit down my lip hard till I could taste the blood. And then came Heaven's words running back to shatter me to pieces.

I hate you!

You ruined my whole life!

Why do you get to be happy while I fall apart?

You don't deserve to be happy!

Your ruined me!

As her voice got louder and louder, I pressed my hands against my ears and screamed, agonizingly.

"Maya! Hey, open the door!" It was Bree.

"Maya, hey, come on. Let us in." Nathan's voice was laced with a type worry that I only recognized from the day I said goodbye to him before I jumped.

"Maya, please." Cayden's voice was softer, but laced with concern.

I didn't open the door. I didn't stop crying my eyes out till my vision blurred. The air didn't stop being sucked out of my lungs. The haunting voices didn't stop. The pain ripping me apart inch by inch didn't stop. Nothing stopped.

Everything hurt.

"Maya. Are you home? Why's the front door open?" It was dad. I could hear him from downstairs.

"Cayden, stay here. Nathan I'll go talk to her dad and Mia. Just stay with her," Bree said before I heard their steps distancing from the door.