18. Forced Smiles

MAYA

MAYA

Only a minute after Nathan left, I fished out my phone from my pocket and called Bree before I could lose myself in the ocean of confused thoughts my mind had created.

How does Nathan know so much about Cayden? How does he know that he has the same tattoo as him? Why do they have the same tattoo? Were they friends at one point? What he did mean when he said that Cayden had a habit of ruining everything he went near?

My heart practically leaped of relief when she picked up, and I didn't hesitate. "Nathan knows something about Cayden."

"What?" Bree's voice mirrored the confusion still plaguing my mind.

"Where the hell are you?" I asked before scanning the whole cafeteria in search for a champagne blonde haired cheerleader.

"Currently flopped in bed like a graceful pig."

"You're home? But we went to school together. Why'd you go back?"

"I wasn't feeling well. I threw up and passed out in the girls' bathroom earlier today so I left after chemistry," she replied, her voice suddenly less cheerful and quiet than a second ago.

Shock hitting me like a slap on the face, I gasped and my blood ran cold. "What?! Are you okay?!"

"Yeah. I'm fine. I probably just ate something wrong last night. But forget about me, let's focus on-"

"No! We're not forgetting about you. Are you sure you're okay? Do you want me to come over?" I asked, immense worry clutching my chest. Not to mention she was home alone.

For a moment, Bree went silent and I swallowed thickly before whispering, "I'll be there soon."

After hanging up, I turned around so fast that I crashed into a girl, causing her books to land on the floor with a loud thud.

"Shit, I'm so..." I trailed off when my eyes landed on a familiar dark brown haired girl with olive skin.

I almost gasped when my gaze traced Heaven's body from head to toe. She had lost weight. A lot of weight. And by the sight of the ghostly paleness across her face, strained expression, and lumpy figure, she hadn't gotten skinnier in the proper way. She didn't look anywhere near normal. Even the constant glow on her face was gone.

"I'm so sorry," I said before crouching down to pick up her books and offering them to her with a gentle smile.

"Uh, thanks," she mumbled, looking down at the books she had clutched against her chest, hard.