27. Appreciating Them

"She was a star that fell right into my arms and lit me up

"She was a star that fell right into my arms and lit me up."

CAYDEN

A lazy summer evening with the sun a glowing ball resting on the horizon and the breeze dancing past you by leaving a peaceful feeling within you. That's what my pillow, blanket and bed sheets smelled like. That's what Maya Greene smelled like. Plus, a hint of Oreos.

Even without her presence next to me in my bed, her scent stayed and it made me sleep a little bit better than normally.

My arms folded over my head, I laid in my bed and stared at the ceiling with a small smile playing on my lips. I woke up half an hour ago, and Maya hadn't once left my mind.

Maya

A fuzzy tingle spread through my body by the memory of her face appearing in my mind. Her genuine smile that made her whole face light up like the sun, her soft, small lips that once briefly brushed against mine under the water at Bree's party, and her sapphire blue eyes which were a striking complement to bring out the glow in her chocolate brown hair.

Honestly, she really did have a pair of stunning eyes.

Fallen star. Ironic how Alec's nickname fitted her so perfectly. She really was a star the fell from the sky and landed straight into my arms.

However, Maya Greene was somewhat different from the person she was in her diary. Instead of depressed, broken and lonely, she was so strong, kindhearted, selfless, passionate, weird, funny, crazy and...real.

I honestly wanted someone like that in my life for a long time.

With her, I gave friendship another a chance. And that was beyond impossible for me after what happened with the person I thought was my best friend, but turned out to be half of the reason to why everything was so dark and empty inside of me.

Confession number one: Maya Greene was my best friend.

Holy shit.

People were so proud of me. Alec was proud, Mr. Standall was proud, my therapist was proud and so was my family. Speaking of my family, I seriously hated it sometimes.

Dad, mom, and Faith knew perfectly well that I had a crush on Maya, but they still chose to embarrass the shit out of me right in front of her.

I seriously regretted letting mom squeeze the fact that I had a crush on her out of me. I also regretted forgetting that mom could never keep a secret, so of course, dad and Faith would find out too.