34. Count On Me

Chapter 33 & 34 are published

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don't need to be accepted by others. You just need to accept yourself."

MAYA

"Cayden is so cute. He has great manners too," Mia told me while I was doing the dishes and she was seated on a chair by the dinner table, drying the plates and glasses with a dry cloth.

"Yeah. He's a really fun person but tends to get a little nervous and quiet when surrounded by too many unfamiliar faces," I said, rinsing a plate covered with bubbled soap under the running water.

"Yes, I noticed, but you, Alec, and Bree make him feel so comfortable. He is lucky he has such great friends."

"Yeah. He's very lucky." Cayden had gotten out of his shell and befriended Bree and me. That was probably the biggest thing he had done to step out of his comfort zone, or maybe kissing me back on his birthday night topped that.

"So are you two something more to each other or...?" She asked, lowering her voice as everyone was sitting in the living room, talking.

I felt the blush creep up on my neck.

After washing the last two plates, I sat down on a chair next to Mia and grabbed a spare towel using it to dry a few plates. Mia kept looking at me with excitement playing across her features.

I bit my bottom lip, subconsciously tasting some of the strawberry lipgloss. I was surprised it had lasted so long on my lips. Normally, I would've licked it off by now.

"Is it that obvious?"

"It really is. I could see the way you two were eyeing each other during the whole dinner," she replied, wiggling her brows.

"Okay, yes, we are something more to each other," I confessed.

Eyes big,Mia leaned closer. "Have you two kissed?"

My heated red face gave Mia the answer to her question.

Beaming, Mia put our towels away and grabbed my hands. "That's so exciting. I'm so happy for you, dear."

"But we haven't really talked about what we are to each other now. I'm hoping we could talk about it soon," I told her and Mia nodded, still smiling.

She ships it. Bree's voice echoed in my head.

"Okay, so what do you say we go join them in the living room?" I nodded and place my hand on Mia's shoulder to steady her as she took a few seconds to get up from her chair.