44. Home Of The Peaceful

"Falling down is a part of life

"Falling down is a part of life. Getting back up is living."

MAYA

Over the course of the next few days, a lot of things happened. Firstly, I talked to dad and Mia about seeing a therapist and they agreed to come with me to meet one. Secondly, I aced that biology test with Cayden. Thirdly, sad news about Heaven led to a new breakdown. This one, however, happened in the girl's bathroom at school.

Here's what happened: Heaven's mom, Marie, who was my maid at my old house, came to school to break the news to Bree and me with the principal and Mr. Standall.

"My daughter has started getting PTSD symptoms because of the bullying you and Bree made her go through. Especially you, Maya. My daughter can't stand being in places where she was bullied and she can't stand being around you two. She can't stand the thought of you two. She's been suffering from physical stress and painful memories of the bullying. Her grades are falling because she can't concentrate," she had said.

"She won't be coming to school anymore because she won't be graduating this year. But considering this is a very small town, we just think it's better if you two stay away from her as much as possible till she leaves," she had added.

"L-leaves?" I had stuttered, frozen in my chair.

I could hear Bree's hitched breaths next to me.

"Her health is deteriorating day by day. She's being put in an eating disorder treatment center," she had answered.

Afterward, I saw the look Marie gave us. I saw the look she gave me.

It screamed: You ruined my daughter's life! Her whole life!

And we did. I did.

All because I was a jealous and lonely mess. A gigantic mess.

When I broke down in the bathroom, all I could think about was Heaven's mom, her dad, her siblings, Owen, and Heaven herself. I thought about everything they must've been thinking after they heard the news. Guilt destroyed me all over again, leaving me darkened, emptied and haunted inside.

Bree came and sat with me. We wept together until Cayden came and gave us a bear hug.

The day after, meaning now, I was seated in a chair across from Mr. Standall in his office. He wanted to have a session alone with me. Admittedly, I missed this. Just him and I talking about life.

So here we sat, surrounded by comfortable air, birds chirping outside of the open window while we worked on a poster, which was going to say Crying is OKAY here in bright red letters.