37. Live It & Win It

"I don't want a perfect love story

"I don't want a perfect love story. I want a real one."

MAYA

"How would you describe me with three words?" Bree asked, typing down her job application for babysitting on her phone.

It was Saturday. Two days had passed since Cayden's outburst at school, but there had been no sign of him at school, around town or at the base. He hadn't texted or called Alec, Bree and me either.

Bree and I were hanging out with Alec at the base. Bree was sitting legs-crossed on the roof of a black car while writing her job application. Alec had wheeled himself under that car as he was fixing something that he tried to explain to us, but we stopped him midway as we didn't understand nor did we speak fluent car language.

I was seated on a table by the front of the car, my legs swinging over the edge. Subconsciously, I kept reloading the messaging app on my iPhone, hoping a new text from My Kitten🖤 would miraculously appear. It didn't.

"Sassy, dramatic, cute and cool," Alec said, wheeling out on his back from beneath the car, black grease smudged to his cheek.

"That's four words, dude," Bee said, glancing up from her phone and then down at Alec.

He grinned. "An extra adjective for an extra person."

Bree grinned back. "Aww, thanks, Alec. I really need something more formal and fitting for the job though."

"Hardworking," I said.

"Intelligent," Alec said and paused for a second before adding. "Cayden would probably say funny."

A frown tugged on my lips by the sound of his name. I had been anxious and flustered the whole time for the past two days. I couldn't sleep at night nor could I pay attention in class. All I did was eat Oreos and licorice in bed while my mind wandered off to what Cayden must be doing now. What he must be thinking. How he must be feeling.

As for Nathan, I was thinking about messaging him, but then it crossed my mind that Bree told me she was going to call him today.

"Hey, B? Did you talk to Nathan? How's he doing?" I asked, shifting my eyes gaze from my phone to her.

"He's got a pretty bad bruise on his cheek, but he's feeling better now. He asked about Cayden, but I told him we weren't able to reach him," Bree said.

Alec sighed and sat up. "Cayden's not the violent type. Boxing when he's feeling down is the only time he becomes aggressive. But let's be honest, Nathan Northwood deserved it. He's put Cayden through a lot of shit."