7

-Edited-

Looking around frantically, Naruto settled eyes on a stall. He regretted not coming up with a backstory before, he hadn't even thought to come up with one, but he soon came up with an idea on the spot after spotting a fruit stall.

"My name is, my name is Daidai, miss," he said quietly, looking up at her with his big red eyes. The shop owner was a little startled by his appearance, but brushed it off as many clans had unique traits and this boy might be from one she hadn't heard of yet. Her expression remained kind and gentle, making Naruto feel more welcome. She had never hurt him before, nor had the man, though he found it difficult to completely trust the villagers as many of them hated him when they knew he was the container.

"Okay, Daidai, my name is Keiko, and this man is Hiro," she told him kindly, smiling at the boy, who shuffled away ever so slightly. Noticing this, Keiko decided to probe, so she could figure out how to help Daidai. "Do you know where your parents are?"

"Um, they, they left me here. They smuggled me into the village with some money and they left, saying it was, it was meant to protect me. Kaa-san and Tou-san said the villagers were nice and that Hokage-sama would help, but I haven't seen Hokage-sama at all," Daidai told her, looking dejected. "They left me in some alleyway, and I went and bought some clothes earlier today. My old ones were all torn up and dirty so I chucked them out."

Keiko felt her heart soften at the story, and she felt sadness that he had to go through that as it seemed his parents loved him. She moved forward and embraced the boy, giving him a gentle hug before looking to Hiro, the owner of the stall. He offered him a stick of fish, freshly cooked but not too hot, giving him a grin. "How'd ya like it, kid?"

Naruto gladly ate and smiled at the man. "It's good, thank you sir."

———

Naruto had stayed inside the stall on a plastic chair, talking with the shop owners about little things like the weather and what it was like in Konoha. He was 'quite interested' to learn about his new home and Keiko was happy to just talk and make him feel welcome. She knew not to push too far in asking a igu things since she didn't want to scare off the boy. That would make it hard to take him to the Hokage where he could get help. Hiro, however, had other ideas.

"So do ya come 'rom a clan kid? With an a'erance like 'at, I ain't be sur'rised if ya do." Hiro offered Daidai another fish stick, that was politely declined, and given to the next customer instead when one came.

"I never knew my true last name. Mom and dad promised they would tell me in time to start training with clan stuff, but cause we moved around a lot they used Ichigo. I don't know why, they never told me. We were always being chased, and so in the end I didn't get taught any clan things, so I don't have any idea about bloodline traits or clan abilities."

The man was about to respond to him, but Keiko got there first, and he had to serve another customer anyway. He wanted to listen to him and find out more since he seemed to be quite the character.

"Sorry Daidai, Hiro didn't mean to upset you. We are about to close for today, so how about we take you to the Hokage-sama and see what he can do for you, okay?"

Hesitantly, Daidai nodded, before smiling up at Keiko. "I would love to, Keiko-san!" he exclaimed happily. As much as he didn't want to see his father so soon, incase it made his identity clearer and ruined his chance at a new start, he knew he would have to. I can't let her see that I don't want to go. Any kid would be thrilled to find a home after being abandoned, it would seem odd if I didn't, he thought, sighing and shaking his head.

"Damn right it would, kid. Good decision making."

Kurama? Naruto thought, glad to hear his voice, but still hurt from earlier. He didn't like being blocked off from the fox, especially after being shown all that. He should have been there to comfort him, to help him, not to leave him to deal with things himself.