26

When the group returned back to the village, Hebi told the youngest male to go back to the Anbu hideout and get cleaned up. Kurama was still in control of Daidai's body, since the boy was really not dealing with things very well.

Once they had gotten back to the base, he headed straight to the showers, sitting down on a seat that was inside the shower cubicle that was there to put the clean clothes and towel on while the person was showering. Once he was sure that Daidai's body wouldn't fall off, Kurama returned to the mindscape, walking over to the boy and curling up around him. "Come on, Naruto. You have to wash yourself, it'll make you feel better," Kurama told him gently, resting his head on the boy's lap.

Naruto shook his head, whimpering softly and curling closer to the fox. "What have I done, Kurama? I'm a horrible person," he whispered, voice shaky and barely audible. He felt so small and at the same time so big. "I just want to forget it, I don't want to remember their faces."

"I know, kit, I know. It'll all be better soon, have a nice warm shower and put on some warm clothes. Then you can rest and stay in here with me. I'll look after you, I promise, but you need to have a shower on your own."

Naruto whimpered but nodded at his words, wrapping his arms around the chakra beast once more. "I'll try, Kurama. Talk to me while I do?"

"Of course, anything to help you," he promised, before forcing Naruto out of the mindscape and into his body once more. He whispered happy things to him as he showered, washing off all the blood and sweat. The water was warm and calming, and though he wasn't better completely he did feel a lot calmer. It would be a long time until Naruto got used to the life of an Anbu, and Kurama would be there to support him. The fox wasn't usually one for kindness and caring, but he recognised when it was needed. If nobody else was around to help Naruto, then he would be.

x-X-x

After about twenty minutes, Naruto was finally out of the shower. His burnt orange hair was plastered to his skin, and though he usually had a tan complexion his face was much more pale and gaunt than it usually was.

He dried off and got changed into some plain blank pants and an oversized grey sweater that Kurama had gotten from the cupboard that kept spare clothes in case any of the Anbu that didn't usually stay there needed to stay overnight at the base for some reason or another. He then made his way to the spare sleeping quarters, when he was stopped by none other than Weasel, who was dressed in his casual clothes and with a bag as if he was about to go home. He recognised the boy as the Uchiha clan heir, who he knew was only about four years older than him.

"Oh, it's you," Daidai whispered, looking up at him blankly. He seemed so young, and in comparison he felt even younger. "Did you need something?"

Itachi shrugged and gestured for him to follow. "I don't need something, but it looks like you do. I'm not going home, at least tonight anyway, it's too late for that. It's the early hours of the morning. If I try to sleep I'll be awake all night," he said in reply.

Daidai nodded tiredly and followed him, Kurama still talking to him in the background. Now that he wasn't in his mission gear, and he had other things in front of him, he was managing to keep things off his mind just a little. They walked the empty streets, watching as the sun began to rise and stores began to open. The pair were silent, which was helpful for Daidai as he wanted to focus on Kurama's voice.

Eventually they arrived at a dango store. There were not many people out and about, so there were no customers aside from them and a woman. Anko walked over, standing between the two and placing a hand on their shoulders. "I didn't expect to see you two of all people here," she told them with her normal mischievous grin. "What brought little Itachi and Daidai-" She froze when she saw the state of the younger boy, sighing and nodding in understanding before taking her hands away. "I see... going to take him there? I'll come with."