12

"So, where to start, hm? How about the obvious thing, the appearance? You can trust me, kid," Shikaku said, his dark eyes gazing over Naruto. Normally it would be intimidating, but Naruto couldn't seem to feel scared of the man.

"Well, it's pretty simple, really," Naruto began, clearly hesitant to speak. Even though he felt like he could trust him, he was a clan leader after all, he couldn't help but be paranoid that the information he disclosed would be given to the Hokage. He really didn't want that to happen, since Minato seemed to hate him as it was. He doubted the hatred was based off knowing who he was as Naruto, since he seemed to have completely forgotten his previous identity, but it still seemed likely that Minato would try to manipulate him even more if he knew he was a tailed beast container.

Shikaku sighed and shook his head. "Look, kid, I'm not stupid. Whatever's going on, the Hokage doesn't seem to know and care. I don't remember the last time I saw you with him or Kushina. I may have sworn loyalty to the village, but I won't follow a leader who abandons his family. I might be lazy and unmotivated, but my wife and my son and my friends are important to me. I would give my life for them. You can trust me," he told him, his voice firm enough to get his point clearly across, but gentle enough to hold some amount of care.

"As you might know, I am the container of the nine tailed fox, the Kyuubi no yoko. Six months ago I met him after exhausting my chakra. He is not the beast you know, he was being controlled by a sharingan user. He changed me to make my life better, and the appearance is the result of that," he admitted, sighing softly as he looked away.

Shikaku sighed and shook his head. "I'm not going to hate someone because of what they hold. I prefer to judge people with my own eyes and make my own decisions. You haven't done anything wrong, and if the Kyuubi is as you say then I respect that. You are more than welcome in my clan, Naruto."

"I have been training with Shizune and Tsunade, whom I live with at the moment. I'm afraid I cannot tell you my abilities, but I will tell you I'm strong for my age. I do not wish to be joining the academy at such a young age, both because I will not be at my full potential and also because the ninja world is no place for a five, almost six year old. Even with the new curriculum, I do not believe that I will be fully prepared. Besides, I can get more of my own training done if I wait a few years."

"That is a smart decision, I kept my son from the academy for similar reasons. He is strong for his age, smart too, and I hav no doubts that he would be able to do well if he wished. My wife and I would not want to see him out on high missions so soon though, we would regret it greatly if something happened to him because of youth or inexperience. Perhaps you and him may be in the same class," he said, giving him a half smirk. "Or perhaps even the same team. Who knows. Now, we're done with the business. I didn't want to keep you here forever just talking, that's what my wife does, the wonderful, troublesome woman. Have you ever heard of or played Shogi, Naruto?"

Naruto nodded, letting out a quiet, relieved sigh when he heard that they were over. While Shikaku wasn't the highest trained interrogator, he was still smart and analytical and Naruto wasn't quite at a level that matched him. Give him a few years and he would be better, but he was only five and even time with Kurama couldn't give him the skills that he had at this current moment.

"Now, while I would usually put you against my Shikamaru, I feel like you're up for a bit more of a challenge than that. Give me everything you've got, kid." Shikaku got up, exiting and soon returning with the shogi board.

The game soon began, and Naruto was quite good at it, though his abilities had yet to pass Shikaku. He didn't want to use Kurama since he wouldn't always be able to have the fox help him. All on his own and independent, he did better than Shikamaru (who was still young and not quite as intellectually advanced yet) but wasn't quite as advanced as Shikaku, about halfway in between their abilities. He lost, but he put up a good battle against him,

"Thank you for playing with me. You were quite impressive in your strategies, I wouldn't have thought to make the moves that you did. But I believe you've helped me to learn some new ways of playing." Naruto gave him a grateful smile, it was nice to have a turn playing against someone with high capabilities such as Kurama, that wasn't Kurama. Shogi was never Tsunade or Shizune's strong suit, after all.

Shikaku grunted a bit in approval and nodded, saying, "You did well, Uzumaki Naruto." Just like the other time he used his name, he left of the Namikaze. While that name could be forgotten, the Uzumaki bloodline was still within him, and it was a proud bloodline to come from. Even if Kushina had tainted it with her neglect of Naruto, Shikaku knew the boy was more than worthy of inheriting that name if he so pleased. Though if he chose against it because of his siblings becoming clan heir, that was his choice and an understandable one, as he was the rightful heir to the Uzumaki clan head.

"I believe I have kept you too long, however. But if you ever need anyone to be by your side, whether it be for training, a hot meal one night, or a simple game of shogi, you're more than welcome in our clan. Now, Ichigo Daidai, I bid you good night." Shikaku gave him a half smile, walking with him outside of the compound.

"Thank you, really, Nara-sama. You are too kind, but perhaps I may take you up on that offer." With that, Naruto left, walking as the sun was just beginning to set.

As Shikaku returned, his son walked over, looking up at him. "Who was that, Otosan?" he asked, "He didn't look much older than me, younger even."

"His name is Ichigo Daidai, and if you ever see him around don't be afraid to talk to him, especially if you end up in the academy. He is a respectable boy, quite good at shogi, but he doesn't have many friends. I think you would like him."

x-X-x

Naruto arrived home just in time to be having dinner. He himself hadn't realised he'd spent playing shogi with Shikaku. He was glad to return back home though, and enjoy dinner and a bath before going to get some sleep.

Shizune had been quite interested to hear about his interactions with Shikaku and made a note to talk to him at some point. She didn't think Naruto realised the importance of what had been said regarding being welcome in their clan, which was to be expected since they hadn't gotten to that part in terms of clans. They were looking at other things such as more broad information on other villages. Naruto felt that it would be more important to learn about other places other than home since he would learn about home a lot in the academy.

Still, with his steady improvements going on with his training and learning, and his respectful and kind personality, Shizune had no doubt that he would become a strong, great ninja. More people would come to see it in time, and he would gain a great support as he improved.