32

During the night while his body slept, Naruto was talking to Kurama in his mindscape, discussing what to do in certain situations in case thins went all wrong. He was strong enough now that he didn't need to worry as much if a few people found out his identity, but it would be preferable if it was kept on the down low and there was no way he was trusting Motoshi and Neji to keep it a secret.

The other issue was the use of Kurama's chakra, which he might end up needing if the battle was too rough. If word got out that he was a jinchuriki, it would be very bad, considering the target that would be on his head and the ways of the villagers. He didn't want to leave Konoha now, not after everything he'd been through with the village and the people in it.

The morning was fairly relaxed, with them getting up and eating breakfast kindly prepared by Tsunami. Naruto was silent, on guard, ready and prepared for something to happen. The more experienced people in the group knew that this was not a safe place, that at any moment there could be an attack. Hinata and  Sasuke had picked up on this, having gone back and gotten their weapons when they saw Daidai fully dressed and prepared. Neji and Motoshi on the other hand were still in their pyjamas, and though it was cruel, Naruto almost wished that they would be attacked right there and then so they would learn their lesson.

Kakashi was clearly annoyed at the two when he came down for breakfast, also fully dressed. It was Hebi who spoke up though, seething at their ignorance and sending a glare their way. "Stop eating and go get ready for battle. This is not the time to be leisurely, not when we could quite literally be attacked at any moment. You'd do well to realise that though this is Tazuna-san's house, this whole island is enemy territory. Weasel and I went out and got rid of a lot of their numbers last night, so they know we're here. These are not enemies that you can take on your own, no matter if you might be at a jounin level when it comes to fighting. Recklessness and arrogance will get you killed."

The two, who had been talking about how they would 'kick those weak bastard's asses', froze. Motoshi growled, glaring back at him and standing up. "Well then, why the hell did you go get rid of them last night? That gets rid of the element of surprise, something that we could have used to our advantage. What are you, stupid?" he sneered, leaving the table but still watching the two anbu. Hinata and Sasuke were watching carefully, intrigued at the news but not particularly surprised.

Weasel just sighed and shook his head, speaking up from the entrance of the stairwell. "There were many of them, all chūnin level. It would have been at least five to one in battle, their skills unknown. It would be a struggle even for the strongest ninja in this group to fight like that, not to mention adding on their multiple high level ninja. Motoshi-san, it would be like telling you to fight Sasuke, Hinata, Neji, Daidai and Kakashi all at the same time. Would you be able to fight them and win? Would you even be able to fight Kakashi and win? What if I was your only ally, and I was injured, leaving you to fight with Hebi in the mix as well?"

Motoshi took a moment to think, and some of the arrogance slipped from his expression. "No, probably not," he admitted through gritted teeth, the glare still prominent on his expression. "Whatever, if it'll make you so happy, we'll go get changed. Neji, come on."

As the pair left, the atmosphere in the room was tense, and Naruto was glad Tsunami, Tazuna and her son were in another room. "When we're all finished, we need to discuss what we're going to do," Kakashi said, breaking the silence and running a hand through his silver hair. "We cannot leave Tazuna and his family alone, nor can we bring them as bait since that is even more dangerous. Someone will need to stay behind, but we're going to need everyone we can at the battle. Think about that for a bit."

Sasuke and Hinata nodded, the female looking a little nervous about the whole situation. Naruto smiled a little at her and pat her shoulder gently, Sasuke muttering a quiet 'it's alright'. "I know that there will be strong enemies, but that's just life. You've trained and you aren't weak, and we have each other's backs. I will do anything that I possibly can to protect you guys. We're a team, and you two are important to me. I'm not Rock Lee, but I am just as much a part of this team as he is and I will not abandon my teammates," Daidai said, his voice gentle but firm. Hinata smiled a little at her teammates encouragement, and relaxed.

"Arigato, Sasuke-kun, Daidai-kun," she said, a more determined look in her eyes. "I promise to do my very best today. Whatever happens though, thank you both for being my teammates."

Sasuke nodded and gave them a small smile as well. "It's the same for me. This is probably going to be the hardest battle we've fought so far, and though we're strong we can never underestimate the enemy. I won't give up to the very end, don't think I won't, but if something does happen to me or either one of you, then I'll tell you this. I couldn't have asked for better teammates to train and fight alongside with."

From across the table, Gai was watching their interactions, a tear slipping from his eyes. "Oh, my youthful students!" he wailed, going over and pulling them all into a hug. "It is so sad that this is the conversation you are having, but I can see your flames burn brighter than ever! As your sensei, I will also do my best to have your backs. You are such wonderful students and I am honoured to have been chosen as your sensei!"

The three chūnin smiled at his words, and Daidai was the most relaxed he'd been since they'd left. "Same for you, Gai-sensei! Thank you for everything," Hinata told him, with Naruto and Sasuke nodding in agreement.

Gai beamed, and then went back to finish his breakfast. From across the room, Naruto could see the looks that Itachi and Hibiki were giving him, sending them a small smile each. He had found friends in the two chūnin, and the anbu were glad that it was the case.

A few minutes later, Motoshi and Neji were back, and once again the tension returned to the room. "So then," Kakashi began solemnly, "Now that we're all here, let's talk."

(A/N) Sorry for such the long wait for a short chapter, I've had a lot of work recently so I've been busier, and in my free time I've been working on my Haikyuu fic 'Wingless' since I've been more motivated to write that. I was intending to write actual plot but it's a bit more of a filler chapter, so next chapter stuff is actually going to happen. Anyways, thanks for reading and have a good Saturday.