33

"Now that we're all here, let's talk."

Motoshi and Neji turned their heads to look at Kakashi, for once seeming to read the room and settling into more serious expressions. The silver haired man nodded before pulling out a map detailing the surrounding area that Hibiki had stolen the night before on their mission, laying it out on the table in front of them so they could all see it.

Said anbu stepped forward, pointing to a marked area on the map. "This is where we are now, at Tazuna's house. They obviously have the place mapped out, and they know where we are. We know they have plans to come here for one reason or another, likely for Tazuna-san, but as always we need to be cautious. While it seems unlikely that they would send anyone of importance here to do the dirty work, if they're playing it safe they could send someone strong. Missions like this are full of a lot of unknowns, so never underestimate the enemy, not even for a second. Kill them at the first chance you get," Hebi explained, his voice firm. "Even those who seem to be weak are likely going to be an extremely difficult challenge, and the slightest moment of hesitation will get you killed. On a mission like this, it is life or death. There is no room for arrogance, no room for pity. It's either kill a few guilty people, or let the entirety of wave — innocent men, women and children — slowly die from starvation and cruel enslavement by this organisation."

From the corner of his eyes, Naruto saw Motoshi gulp and Neji stiffen. If Sasuke and Hinata felt a similar confrontation as a result of Hibiki's words, they didn't let it show. The members of anbu past and present knew this procedure all too well, yet apprehension still slowly began to build inside of them nonetheless. "We need someone to stay behind here, both who is strong enough to protect our client and his family, from unknown enemies. We can't have too many people stay behind or else there won't be enough people at the battle, yet we can't afford to lose one of our strongest members when it all goes to chaos," Daidai stated quietly, wearing an unreadable expression and glancing to his two anbu teammates. "Motoshi and Neji are a good choice for this. They're good at communicating together, and their teamwork is impeccable despite the fact that they work better as individuals. Motoshi has decent sized chakra reserves, and I know he can make a few shadow clones to protect our clients. Normally I would offer to stay behind myself, but I think they would be the better people for the job. It also means that if something happens to one of them, the other can protect them."

Daidai could feel their eyes on him, watching him suspiciously as if he had an ulterior motive to suggesting them. The two boys looked towards Kakashi as if seeking another opinion from someone they actually trusted, only to receive a nod in agreement from the spiked haired male. "Motoshi, Neji, you're protecting our client here, and his family. Neji's eyes mean that you can be prepared for any enemies that might be coming and trying to take you by surprise, and Motoshi, your shadow clones will be a great assistance. Remember, if you need help, send up a flare, but don't bank on the assumption that someone will be there to help. And in all circumstances, stay here.  You cannot leave our client unprotected even if you think you're needed more with us. We all have roles to play, this is yours.  It's a tough battle ahead of us, do not take opponents lightly and keep up your guard. It is kill or be killed, there is no stressing that enough."

The two chūnin nodded, seeming to be taking this a lot more seriously than they had been the previous day, despite struggling to understand it all completely.  "Yes, Sensei," Motoshi replied after a moment, Neji nodding silently in agreement to him. It was the grim reality of this mission, of being a ninja. Even if someone was dying, or seriously injured, they had to hold their ground. It could be the last time they saw their teacher, the last time they saw people from their village alive and well. Any sense of arrogance — something that had been once so blindingly clear in the way the two carried themselves — had vanished almost completely from them as things sunk in.