19

"Very well, then, Daidai. I'll trust Shikaku, Anko and Kakashi, so you won't take the proper test. Instead, I'll have you spar against Hebi. No holding back."

Daidai showed no signs of complaints, though he did stiffen ever so slightly. He hadn't intended to fight someone head on, and though he was prepared he didn't think that fighting against the Anbu captain was a good idea. Kakashi and Shikaku has the decency to look somewhat surprised, though it was only through the form of a raised eyebrow and nothing else. It was Anko that decided to verbally express her opinion on the matter.

"With all due respect, Hokage-sama, I don't think that it would be a good idea to have a fight between them full force. One or both of them could get seriously injured if they don't hold back. This is simply a spar to test if our candidate is worthy. I love blood and a good battle as much as the next ninja, and I wouldn't say anything if I didn't think it was important." She stepped forward, standing half in front of Daidai with an arm shielding the boy and one on her heart. "He is still only a child, there is no need to ruin his entire life before it begins."

Minato only scowled at her words, stepping forwards with silent anger clear in his eyes. "Last time I checked, Anko, I was the Hokage. If Daidai does not have the guts to fight against one of our own ninja because of fear of injury, he is not worthy to be in the Anbu no matter how great his skills supposedly are. He could be the holder of a supreme bloodline and and I still wouldn't take him in if that was the case. He will be my ninja, and I will choose what happens to him. Remember your place, before you're stripped of your ninja status."

His voice was soft and deep, and though Anko almost never felt fear she did now. His voice and the sheer hatred and anger hidden behind the cool and collected composure sent shivers down her spine. The killing intent was leaking out, the tension in the room thickening so that each person was more on guard than before.

"Yes, Hokage-sama," she squeaked, standing back in line, a little bit behind Kakashi and Shikaku who were more visibly shocked now and clenching their fists. She hated feeling this way, and had no idea what had happened to their kind and caring Hokage. None of them did.

"Anyway, now that's over, let's hear from Daidai-kun how he feels about fighting Hebi," Minato said sweetly, seeming to have taken a complete personality change. Not an ounce of the killing intent was there, yet everyone in the room was even more tense than before.

Daidai looked fearlessly into his 'father's' eyes, still hiding any of the emotions that he was feeling. Usually this would have killed him on the inside, to see the hatred and cruelty staring back at him, but not now. He couldn't allow his emotions to take over his rationality in such a situation as this. He was stronger than his father, he would move past him, because he had people who genuinely cared about him and would support him. He would make those people proud of him. "I do not mind who I fight, Hokage-sama. It is as you said, it is the job of the Anbu to serve you despite any fears we might have. Fear is a good thing in small amounts, it helps us grow and push through difficult situations if we do not let it get to us. I will push though my fears and complete any tasks you give me."

A cold chuckle escaped from their leaders lips, and the blond man clapped slowly. "Is that so? Well then, how about instead of Hebi, you fight me? I myself will be the sole judge on whether you deserve to be a part of my anbu. You might be strong and have the mindset of a ninja, but if you cannot pose a challenge to me then you will be no use on missions and you may as well be a normal ninja.

And something in your little speech interested me quite a bit. Facing fears, hm? Let's raise the stakes more, in that case, brave little Daidai. If you win the battle, you will become a full fledged Anbu. I will not try to force you out of the ranks unless there has been illegal activity on your part, or you wish to leave. On leaving, you will have the option to be instated as a Tokubetsu Jōnin, or take the Jōnin exams. Even if you wanted to, any other test of genin or chūnin, though I doubt you'd want to." He paused and smirked, beginning to write out a contract on a scroll and ink that he kept in a sealing scroll in case it was needed. He would get what he wanted, and it was a massive deal in his favour. There was no way an inexperienced child would beat him, and when he lost he would be his weapon to use as he pleased.