C I N Q U E

The rest of that day and the next were spent preparing for the party. It was decided that all the Varia had to get either Tsuna or Nana's approval on their costumes (another rule Nono made to distract them). Most of the Varia going to Tsuna of course, all bar Ottabio who was busy doing paperwork or, so he claimed right up until it was time for the party.

Timoteo was very careful that day, careful to make sure none of the guests that arrived were anywhere near the Varia, Xanxus would have a fit if he knew what the Vongola head was up to, he had to keep that as quiet as possible right up until it was too late and they were in a room with Tsuna, that way hopefully none of them would be able to flee without worrying about upsetting the excited child.

Thankfully his adopted son was too busy spending time with Tsuna to notice some of the guests he smuggled in through the back door. Timoteo might have gotten a little too enthusiastic with inviting people, but it wasn't everyday people got to see his arrogant adopted son acting like a real human with a civilian five year old girl, Nono needed to make sure everyone knew. Besides, Tsuna was adorable.

~•~

Xanxus chuckled at Tsuna while she nodded happily at his costume, Xanxus was in a black tabard with the Varia emblem on the front in blood red, an ornate crown on his head that Tsuna had found in a store they had visited today while gathering pieces for the costumes together and a black cape pinned at his shoulders. Xanxus had managed to convince the kid to let him wear plain black pants under the tabard but Tsuna had also found him some knee high leather boots, Xanxus hadn't minded much about wearing them since they had steel caps in the toes, all the better for him to kick his staff around with.

"Brat, why did you tell Squalo to be the queen?" Xanxus asked while Tsuna blinked at him her head tilting while she furrowed her brow trying to remember why.

"Nii-san?"

"You heard me brat." Tsuna frowned slightly while thinking hard, Xanxus rolled his eyes at her cute little frown while pulling off his new crown, there were still a few hours until the party and he was not going to walk around dressed like this all day, he had to go find something for the brat for her birthday still.

"But.... Isn't Squalo-nii your wife?" Xanxus tripped over himself and crashed to the floor spluttering his wide red eyes on Tsuna while she blinked at him innocently. The teen just gaping at her from his place sitting on his new black cape.

"My what?!" Xanxus spluttered while staring at the child incredulously, what the hell had given her the idea that Squalo was his wife? "We're both men you brat." Tsuna looked confused while she studied Xanxus.

"Why does that matter?" Tsuna asked blinking up at him while Xanxus stared at the kid, just how naive could you be? Didn't a five year old even know that? Dragging himself to his feet Xanxus got back to taking off this costume while frowning at the brat.

"A wife is a woman. A man is a husband." Xanxus explained while Tsuna frowned deep in thought.

"So... Squalo-nii is your husband?" Xanxus couldn't help but cover his face with his hand with a groan.

"No." Xanxus sighed, he really didn't have the energy to explain it to the girl, so for now it was best he just said no and hope she would drop it. Besides, he was pretty sure he would mess it up and Tsuna would end up with some really strange ideas, not that she already didn't have some.

"Why?" Xanxus looked at her in shock, so he wasn't safe from this line of questioning yet.

"Why would we be brat?" Xanxus growled while Tsuna tilted her head at him looking confused.