013

11/07/18

CHAPTER THIRTEEN: THE DEVIL IS DAMNED

Maddie was woken by jazz music flowing through the streets of her window and sat up with a soft yawn. Her eyes looked next to her at the sleeping man with a smile. She was quiet and careful not to wake him as she made her way to the bathroom to shower. Her mind drifted as she thought about jwo the day was gonna go, she hoped it would be a good one, they earned that.

Once she stepped out of the shower, Maddie threw on some black ripped jeans, heel boots and a grey long sleeve shirt that she thought might have belonged to the man in her bed. She had time to curl her hair before she walked out of the bathroom to see Klaus waking up.

"Good morning." Maddie smiled at Klaus as his eyes raked her body.

"Morning. I see you showered without me." He teased the girl with a grin and Maddie rolled her eyes at him.

"Get dressed. Rebekah is home and I'm making breakfast." Maddie said as she began to leave but was stopped when Klaus called her name.

"I enjoyed last night." He said and Maddie just looked at him, she was sure he could read her eyes right now but she didn't care. She smiled at him and continued her way downstairs. She knew it wasn't the easiest thing to him but she appreciated it anyway.

Maddie paused as she looked at Rebekah standing in front of a large painting of her from decades ago. Klaus soon was behind her, his head turning to Rebekah, her not sparing him a glance.

"That is just not my chin, Nik." She tells him. "It was much more delicate."

"The only delicate thing about you, sister, is your ego." He says as he puts his hands behind his back.

"When placed beside the behemoth size of yours, certainly." Rebekah says back as Klaus and Maddie both laugh at her comment.

"Could we dispense with this fascinating dispute for just a moment and return to the subject of our supposed long-lost sister?" Elijah asks through the phone.

"There's not much to discuss, Elijah. Said she was Freya and then darted off into the night."

"And you believed her."

"Well, I met the girl in a mystical loony bin. She could be anyone telling any lie, but she did seem familiar somehow."

"Then how is she still alive, a question as ridiculous as it's possible solutions, given this family's annoying predilection for cheating death?" Klaus says angrily.

"I don't know, Nik. I'm just telling you what she said." Rebekah replies.

"All right, can we all just chill out?" Maddie pre warned, mostly to Klaus. Maddie told herself she wasn't gonna get involved because it was hard for her to be talking to all the siblings when she knew Kol was dying and she couldn't tell them. She felt guilty for not saying anything but Kol made her promise not to tell them.

"Well, did you happen to ask if by some similar miracle, our aunt Dahlia lives, as well?" He asks her.

"I barely had a chance to process..."