019

01/15/19

CHAPTER NINETEEN: WHEN THE LEVEE BREAKS

Maddison laughed loudly as Klaus trailed his lips across her neck and shoulder. She could feel the vibration when he chuckled at her reaction and placed his hands carefully on her waist. "I still can't believe we're having twins."

"Me neither, love." Klaus responded as he hovered over her—a lovingly look in his eyes.

"What?" She furrowed her eyes up at him in confusion.

"You look breathtaking right now." He whispered with a grin at his cheesy statement.

Maddie giggled softly and covered her face but Klaus was quick to remove her hands and lean down to press a kiss to her lips. She gave in and melted into it for a minute but pulled back and placed her hands on his chest. "We should go downstairs. After last night, I think we all need to talk about what to do." Klaus groaned making the girl laugh and get up to get dressed.

"Is something the matter, brother?" Klaus asked as he sat down with a drink in his hand. "Can I fix you a drink perhaps?"

"Strangely enough, Niklaus, I'm not in a mimosa mood." Elijah distastefully took a shot at him.

"Fantastic! More for me." Klaus had a wide smile on his lips making Maddie grin behind the glass of orange juice that was raised to her mouth.

"Let's discuss strategy, shall we, Niklaus." Elijah suggested to his brother. "Just wondering if you actually have one. We can begin with Mikael's ashes. Given that they are the main ingredient in our weapon against Dahlia, would you care to tell me where they disappeared to?"

Klaus set his drink down as he began to talk, "Elijah, I have compelled the city's finest pastry chef for your personal edification and yet you ignore my efforts in favour of needless concerns."

"Can we stop talking so loudly?" Rebekah demanded as she walked in hungover. She looks over at the tea and sighed in content. "Give me that."

"What's the matter? New witch body not up to last nights bender?" Klaus teased his little sister.

"So I had a few. It's not everyday you lose your father at the hands of your brother again." She glared over at Klaus and sat at the opposite end of the table.

"Who ever said opportunity only knocks once, eh?" Klaus laughed and looked up to Elijah—who doesn't even crack a smile. "Oh, come on. We all fled Mikaels tyranny together for centuries. I would have thought the mood this morning might be a bit more jubilant."

"Under normal circumstances, the annihilation of our father would be rather commendable, Niklaus. Unfortunately, we have a greater threat to contend with." Elijah sat down beside Maddison.

Right as Elijah sat down, Klaus stood up. "You know, for someone who's been invited to a celebratory breakfast, you're proving quite the buzz kill."

Elijah was clearly frustrated with Klaus, his tone was clear with annoyance, "Well, Niklaus if indeed anything has killed the buzz, as you say, perhaps it was because murdering father alienated the one person who truly knows how to defeat Dahlia."

"If Freya wants to be a part of this family, she should be willing to accept us, warts and all." Klaus grinned and sat back down after filling his glass once again.