Ch 4- Micah

The small bar had been pretty quiet and I chatted with the bartender, Zane. He wasn't from around here and had some great insight on places to see. A lot had changed since I had left.

I finished my drink and headed out. The air smelled clean. Taking in a composing breath and looked towards the sky. It was a little past 10 and the moon was bright. Who needed street lamps when the moon could guide you?

As I set back towards Del Sole, I could hear raised voices but kept my eyes up. Heading back to my car, I noticed the sparse parking lot. Overall, it was quiet and peaceful until I heard her name ring out in an agitated tone.

"Remi!" An unknown man yelled for her.

Chancing a look over at them, I could tell that the man with Remi was gangly even with his oversized jacket on. The shadow from the hood obstructed his face and I couldn't make out any other details.

At a glance, the man had cleared the distance between them in one long stride. I watched as she turned into him and they kissed. His hands coming up to capture her face as her hands came up to his chest.

It was as if time slowed. My thoughts raced back to what my uncle had said. He made it sound like she had been single. Maybe he had been wrong. I wasn't going to step in on another man's girl. My gut tightened with the realization that she was off limits. It shouldn't have mattered, but it did. 

I had only taken a step when I heard her yell at the man.

"What the fuck Ben!" Her defensive tone brought my attention back to them. Were they not together?

I knew that whatever was going on between Remi and this guy, Ben, wasn't my business. Watching them for a few seconds, I realized his touch was unwanted. His presence was being rejected and this guy was not getting the hint. As soon as he put his hands on her, I knew I needed to do something. My feet moved on their own as I stepped out into view and calmly made my presence known.

"There you are baby girl." Her back was to me, but I knew she recognized my voice, because I could see her physically relax. I didn't want to cause her any harm from my intervention, so I approached them slowly. She tilted her head and gave me a relieved smile. I wanted to let her know she had back-up. Where she took this, was up to her.

I wanted to be cautious but I also didn't want to set the man holding Remi's wrist into a rampage. The man she called Ben aimed his remarks at me. Dropping Remi's arm, he stepped around Remi to better take me on.

"Who the fuck are you calling baby girl?" Ben's chest was heaving with large breaths. I never broke my stare from Remi. I needed her to know that I'd help in whatever way she would let me. The corner of my mouth raised in a slight grin as I answered Ben.

"Remi, of course." I wasn't interested in the piss ant next to her. For all I cared, he could keep rambling on, I wasn't here for him.

"Hey babe, I'm sorry. I got out a little later than I had hoped to. I had a table that stayed late." Her tone had changed. She was much more comfortable and I wanted to believe that it was due to me stepping in. I felt cocky as her response rolled out of her sexy mouth.

"It's fine. I'd wait all night if I had to." Calling me babe, moving into more intimate conversation. I played along.

"The fuck? Is this who you're fucking now?" Ben's face scrunched like he had tasted something nasty. His eyebrows were stitched together as he scowled at us. The vile bite of Ben's words affected Remi as she grimaced. Was this what it all about? Sex?

As Ben backed away from Remi, I took the space. Sliding my hand around her lower back and cradling her to me. He was getting pretty worked up about the altercation with Remi and my sudden and unwanted company. If there had been something romantic between Remi and Ben, there wasn't anymore.