Ch 16- Remi

**Shorter chapter, but just so you know, I wanted this to be a part of the last chapter, but it seemed the end of dinner was a good place to end it. So whether you think of this as Ch 15.5 or 16, I will leave it to you. Either way, we will catch up with Micah next chapter**

Apparently Giovani had gotten several of his business partners to contribute to his charitable donation. The check included his associate's contribution as well as his part. He had doubled their amounts with his and rounded it out. 

I was shocked but not surprised. If it hadn't been for a business matter, he would have been at the dinner. Micah had mentioned that he had been disappointed that we didn't do a larger event. Giovani had pushed the issue all the way up until the day of. 

It had been two weeks since the dinner, but in that time, Micah had gotten an urgent call about a problem in Miami. He didn't give many details except that it was related to a lingering threat to his family.

He was finally coming home. He had only been gone for five days and 4 nights, and I hated it. 

Busying myself with opening and closing shifts, making a lot of doubles, I tried to keep my head clear of worry. He had been vague about why he was leaving but the nightly phone calls were reassuring.

"Earth to Remi!" 

"Shit!" I mumbled as my notebook fell out of my server booklet.

"Seriously, girl, what is up with you?" Gina picked up my pen and the notepad and handed them to me.

"I could ask the same question of you." She had been taking smoke breaks, when we all knew she wasn't a smoker, and leaving work earlier.

"Life has just gotten busy." The short response was the one she gave all of us, anytime we pried.

"Right, anyway," letting my words trail off. I had gotten tired of her avoiding the subject as well as her friends.

Our girls nights were cut down and Gina had been there for a total of one in the few months since Micah had entered my life. Even the night she did show up, she left early and gave us a vague excuse.

"Remi, please don't be like that!"

"Like what?"

"You know exactly what I'm talking about!" Her voice raised and a few of the tables noticed. She had glanced around and hushed her voice, "We can get together and catch up, if you want."

"When? Because the way things have been going, it seems that you don't have free time." I knew my response was bitchy, but I didn't care. She needed a reality check when the rest of our group was still walking on eggshells with her.

"I'll look at our schedules and come up with two or three times. Then you decide. Please?" She really didn't need to beg me. I wanted to hear her out. 

Closing my eyes and breathing a heavy sigh, I agreed. 

Knowing that I was looking to Micah coming home that night, she also offered to switch with me and closed for me. Clearing my tables, I was out the door by eight.

When I snatched my things from the back, I took out my phone to see if I'd missed his call. My phone had died sometime during my shift. Cursing, I quickened my steps to get home.

The weather had finally lightened up and the cool air was a welcome delight. Walking the few blocks home was enjoyable. It was the lull between seasons that I loved. The rain from spring had lightened up but the heat hadn't gotten unbearable. 

I wanted to take a shower, get changed, and be ready for Micah as soon as he got back into town. Digging into my purse, I found my keys at the bottom and pulled them free. Unlocking the deadbolt, I heard someone move on the stairs behind me. 

"Hey there, baby girl."

The words that should have brought a smile to my face, didn't. A pit grew in my stomach. There was no warmth in the masculine voice behind me.

My stomach dropped as I realized it wasn't Micah. 

I froze as my legs locked and the lump in my throat threatened to explode. Opening the door slowly, I was hoping I could slip in and slam it between us. I didn't care if it smashed his hand or his face, I needed to make space between us. Put a wall up.

Cold, boney hands slid up my arms and I jerked away towards my door. I wasn't quick enough. I wasn't clever enough. His hand gripped the back of my head and smash my face into my door.

The blurring pain split through my skull and I tried to widened my eyes as my vision went dark. I felt an searing pain pierce my back. If I had made a sound, I can't remember. I remember being shoved through my door and falling to the floor. Bloodied knife in hand, his hateful expression was all I could see and I prayed I would die quickly.

"Ben?"

His weight came down on my waist as he straddled me. Another searing pain to my stomach, a blow to my side, and then he spoke.

"Hey pretty baby, I was wondering when you'd get home. Thanks for not keeping me waiting too long," his words were replaced by an alarming ringing. Whatever else he was saying or yelling, I couldn't hear, which clearly made him more irritated.

All of a sudden he knife was in my side with a burning heat that radiated through the punctured skin. Ben's body was launched past me. Slamming against a chair and disturbing the rest of my living room furniture in the process, he let out a groan in pain.

At that moment, all I thought about was getting the fuck out of my apartment. The problem was, moving hurt. Clawing at the furniture and walls, my goal was to roll myself and claw, crawl, or slide into the hall. I wanted to move towards the door, but I couldn't. 

Seconds, or maybe minutes had passed since Ben had been vacated from his position above me, and it hit me. 

How? 

Who had forced him away from me?

Rolling back, my vision obstructed by blood running down my face. There was someone in my doorway. A gun. There was a gun in his hand. Whomever it was, was strong and broad, but who? 

Panic washed over me when I realized I had no idea who it was. My vision wasn't clear enough to make out details. I also didn't know if they were there to protect me or kill me. 

The last thing I remember was them walking towards where Ben had been hurled.

Pain overtook my other senses. My head felt airy and light as I closed my eyes and accepted that I may not wake up again.

***

A/N: Things only get better from here. If you're hating Ben, what do you think Micah will think when he finds out?

Also know, if you are in an abusive relationship, there is always help available. 

If you're within the United States, National Domestic Violence Hotline: 

1-800-799-SAFE (7233). Deaf/hard of hearing 1-855-812-1011 (VP), 1-800-787-3224 (TTY)

xoxo