Ch 14- Micah

It had been two weeks since I'd opened up to Remi about everything. There was still a lot she didn't know about and I was okay keeping it that way. My uncle was still in charge of the majority of the business but was slowly relinquishing control and responsibilities to me. 

Eva neutralized the immediate threat to our family by turning the hit around. With luck being on our side, a hit was put on the original contractee. Turns out a family, out of New York, was upset at us for cutting in, one too many times, on their human trafficking plans. 

Nero and Luca were usually the ones who got word from allied families and other associates. They took action to stop them by intersecting trucks and shipping containers. Between my clubs and a few of the hotels that my family owned, we provided safe havens for those who were willing to accept the help. They were given safe, secure jobs and their families were taken care of.

Plans had been approved and construction had started at the club. Including Remi in some of the decisions, she helped pick out light fixtures for the bars and some of the accented designs. She also connected me to a local artist that I commissioned to paint two wall murals for the main area and two medium paintings for the bathrooms.

Between my place and hers, we had spent our free time together. The only time apart was when she was working or when I had meetings. She took advantage of her time away from me and would plan outings with her friends while I was busy.

Visiting a local restaurant to host the fundraiser, was the first of many things on our need to-do list. We had researched and narrowed it down to five. At first, Remi didn't want anything showy but when Giovanni heard that she was holding a dinner, and he insisted on paying for all costs. No matter how much she fought him on it, he wasn't budging no matter how much she threatened to take off on Thursdays. 

"Eventually, bella, you're not going to work there. It is something I will accept in time, but you denying me the privilege of helping you put this together, I will not. I am not taking no for an answer." Giovanni had told her on his last dinner. Turning to me he had said, "Take care of it. All of it, on me."

I knew better than to go against his word. Remi made a good effort to try to tone it down, but it was futile. 

Seated close to the kitchen of the brewery, I could see her face light up as she scanned their menu. She mentioned how burgers were her mom's comfort food. Reminded her of growing up and grilling with family. This was going to be an easy sell. 

"The prices are affordable and the bar is fully stocked. This is a good spot. What are your thoughts?" Speaking over my menu, she gave me a deadpan look before she slapped her menu down.

"The burgers are almost $20! That is affordable to you?" Waving her hand and closing her eyes, "You know what? Never mind, I don't want to know. I don't know Micah. It's nice, but it seems like too much."

"Well we are here now, may as well have lunch." 

The server came with our drinks and I placed an order for an appetizer sampler and one of their famous dips. With an arched brow, Remi looked shocked. 

"What?" I questioned.

"Seriously? I'm not hungry."

"We should get an idea of what their food is like, especially if we're going to use them as our venue."

"It's too expensive." She sighed and ran her hands down the sides of her face. 

"You do realize Giovanni doesn't care. This is for you. For your mom. He wants you to be happy. Also," I paused, gauging what her reaction would be. "He is using his contacts. Reaching out to people who may be interested in donating."