Ch 22- Remi

Sarah had done a damn good job at stitching me up. The wound was closed. Stitches had been removed but the skin was still raw. She had mentioned that moving, even slowly, would help the muscles. I hadn't stopped moving since I'd gotten home. Especially with pain meds, I tried to keep busy.  Around the apartment, down to the ice cream shop at the end of the block, and always with Micah or Shay or Gina. 

I quit my job because too much had happened and I felt like it was time to move on. Giovanni wasn't too happy, but he supported the decision. He made jokes that I would have plenty of time to visit Italy, and I seriously considered it.

With Micah, things were different. No matter how many dinners or dates, something had changed. I kept telling myself that it was because the club was opening in a week and there was a lot he needed to finish, but it seemed to be more than that. 

Micah seemed more distant. Thoughts played through my head and my mind clouded my judgment. I was trying to figure out if this was the life I truly wanted to be a part of. 

My phone buzzed on the counter as I finished cooking my breakfast. 

Micah:

Hey baby girl

Micah:

What are you doing
for lunch?

I looked at the clock on the oven, 11:03. Letting out a deep sigh, I wrote back.

Me:

Hey. Just made

breakfast.

Plating the fried eggs next to the toast and bacon, my phone rang. I dropped the pan in the sink and picked up, "Hey."

"A little late for breakfast, isn't it?"

"Says the night owl."

"Touche. So lunch?"

"But I really want to eat my breakfast." It came out more like a whine than a statement. I had overslept and was still waking up. Micah heaved a sigh before he spoke again.

"Ok baby. You eat your breakfast. Will you at least come to the club when you're done? There is something I want to talk to you about."

"Is everything okay?"

"Of course. I wouldn't classify what I have to tell you as bad news. So you'll come when you're done?"

"Yeah. I'm going to take a shower, too. Then I'll head over."

"Perfect. See you in a bit."

Taking the first blissful bite of my breakfast, I thought about the possibilities of what he may have wanted to talk about. 

No one had seen Ben or Romeo. Sarah thought that Romeo may have fled to family in Texas, but nothing for sure. 

I felt like I was still waiting. Waiting for the next attack, the next gunfight, the next wound that would need stitching... Or the next time someone close to me, or I got a wound that couldn't be fixed.

I dropped my fork and leaned back in my seat. The last thought was what had me rethinking everything. 

Death. 

I brought all my problems to Micah's front door. It wasn't fair. I felt toxic.

Finishing what I could stomach, I showered quickly and changed.