Ch 23 - Micah

'I can't do this.' Her voice played over and over in my head. 'I'm sorry. I can't do this.'  My legs filled with lead and I watched her leave. 

I'd never been one to chase after women. I had no problem with women. Not until Remi. She changed everything. 

My brain had been shocked but I could feel it tell me to get up! Move! Go after her, but I couldn't move. Torez found me and knew instantly that something was wrong. Without a word he sat across from me and waited. He would have seen Remi leave but said nothing.

"I fucked up," I felt I needed to say something. I didn't even know if I had actually fucked up, but it felt like it.

"What happened?" His question was soft-spoken. If anyone else on my staff asked that, I would have shut them down, but Torez and I had worked together since the beginning. 

"I don't even know." I chanced a glance up at him. His lips were pursed and his eyes were understanding.

"You told her about her ex, right?" When I nodded, he cocked his head to the side and continued, "Maybe she just needs to absorb the information. She is still new to your life."

"Yeah... I'm more worried that she will run, full speed, in the opposite direction." The confession was like a bolt to the chest. I physically hurt.

"Stop thinking about it like that. She'll come around. You guys are like no other couple I've ever..." I tuned him out as my phone buzzed.

Lexi:

Idk wtf you did but

she's coming here.

"Boss?"

"Give me a min, I need to make a call."  As silent as he came, he left.

The call went straight to voice mail. "Babe, I'm not sure what I've done, but please let me know you're safe." I ended the call and dialed Lex. The phone rang once before she picked up.

"Don't," she answered.

"Lex, what did she say?"

"Don't!"

"Please, I need to know. Did she say anything to you?" I felt like I was begging with her to find out something, anything, about why Remi left.

"All she said was that she wanted to come for a visit. She sounded upset. She didn't tell me shit." There was silence. I had nothing to say, then she spoke again, "What happened?"

"Through connections, I got Ben locked up. I thought she would be happier if I didn't kill him. They have history. Good or bad, they still had a history."

"Wait! Did you fucking talk to her before you used your.. Shit! You didn't call Gia, did you?" Her question was smack to the face and I grimaced.

"I did and no, I didn't talk to Remi before I made the decision to call Gia."

"You fucking idiot! What the fuck is the rest of your family going to say?"

"They don't need to know."

"Yeah, well hope she doesn't show her face in the next 24 hours."

"Why's that?"

"Nero is there."

"What! Why is he here?"

"Something about a girl who was being mistreated. He was flying up to get her."

"Shit!"

"Yeah, tú no crees." (You don't think.)