Ch 18 - Remi

My eyelids were heavy and my head swam. I didn't have to open my eyes to know I was in the hospital. The first thing that hit me was the smell. I would know that smell anywhere. The smell of antibacterial soap, clean linens, and a sterile environment. 

The machines beeped steadily, faded chatter from the hall came from behind a heavy closed door, and someone's shuffled footsteps at my bedside. I slowly opened my eyes, trying to see the person beside me. Bright blue scrubs were all I could make out.

"Oh, hey there honey. I'm so glad to see you're waking up. How are you feeling?" A woman's kind, gentle voice greeted me. She tilted her head as she took my hand in hers. "Give me a little squeeze."

I gave her hand a squeeze, as she asked, and let go. I wanted to sit up, but as soon as I moved, my body screamed at me. 

"Oh, honey! Please let me help you. Are you trying to sit up?" She was there with gentle guiding hands to help me. I nodded and she adjusted the pillows and the bed to let me sit up. "How are you feeling Miss Bennett?"

"I'm in a lot of pain," I managed to bite out. Settling into position. My head felt like it may have rolled off my shoulders and my core burned, ached, and stung.

"To be expected. It is about that time for a little more morphine. We are trying to wean you off the heavier stuff, but the order is already set if you need it." She turned her attention to the bag of fluids I was receiving through an IV. "Your husband should be back any moment. He went to grab a bite. He wanted to order to the room, but I suggested he stretch his legs. He hasn't left you since you got her the other night."

"Husband?" My body stiffened and I winced with pain. Looking around the spacious room, there wasn't much there. The large TV on the wall was off and the comfortable looking chair in the corner had a blanket folded with a pillow on it. "The other night?"

"Oh that's right, I'm sorry." She turned back to me, gingerly laying a hand on my shoulder. Cocking her head to better look me in the eye, "You came in last night and you were in rough shape. That tall drink of water, your husband, he was here when you got out of surgery." She went over my injuries and what they had done in surgery, but I tuned her out.

Closing my eyes, I tried to think back to the day before. 

Micah. He was supposed to come home from Miami, but I was attacked. In my home! Someone stopped it. Stopped... 

"Ben," I whispered, more to myself than the nurse, who was still talking.

"I can not even begin to imagine what you went through. I just changed out your bag, so you're good for a while. I'd like to see that you rest a bit more." She smiled. "Oh my goodness, where are my manners? I am Bridget. I am so sorry! Do you need anything else right now?" She was as sweet as the smile she wore and made me feel more comfortable. I hated being in hospitals and knowing all the attention would be on me, made things worse.

I shook my head. Not knowing what I needed or didn't need, I just wanted to leave.

"Not a problem. You just push that button, right there, if you need anything." With another wide, genuine, smile and pat on my hand, and left.

Sucking air into my lungs, I was stopped short by nasty pain on my left side. Fidgeting with the sheet and blanket, I lifted my gown to see what the damage was. Of what I could see, my entire left side was bruised. I inspected the two-inch cut that was stitched. Carefully, I feathered my hand back and found another one on my back, higher, close to my bra line.

Out of habit, I started to rake my fingers through my hair, but there was pain there too. From what I could tell, no stitches, but a painful scab was there.