A Beginning To The End Part II

"What the hell is happening with Elena?" Kol asked, ever the vigilant one... "You were there when Klaus talked about the effects of the moonlight rings..." The youngest Mikaelson boy looked at the hybrid doppelgänger in bewilderment. Heaving dramatically Elena rubbed the back of her neck. "The rings need to draw energy from someone that doesn't rely on the full moon's energy to shift." She anxiously supplied an explanation. "Like...?" Kol trailed off looking between his brother than Elena. "Like a hybrid." Klaus supplied. "Exactly! But as we discussed it has a few major side effects... Like that it draws on our energy for them to shift. And since we're burning more energy we have to gain it back... by feeding. We become blood crazed." Elena's hands knotted into her hair, the stress eating at her.

"So... What went wrong tonight?" Kol looked over at Klaus. "Marcel... He turned on us, all of a sudden we were overwhelmed by vampires and witches alike. We lost two hybrids." Tears welled in Elena's eyes. She had watched Tyler, and her closer hybrid friends walk through the door, but the two hybrids were still part of her pack. "What are we going to do?" Elena whined slightly, mourning the loss of her pack mates. "The pack is going to mourn together in the forest. It is ritual when we lose a member to go for a pack run, and when the moon is at it's highest point howl in the clearing." Klaus rubbed soothing circles into Elena's back as silent tears streamed down her face. "When do we leave?" Elena looked up at Klaus. Through blurry eyes. "Five minutes." Elena nodded before excusing herself.

"Tyler?" Elena called for her life long friend. In moments a broken looking hybrid came toward Elena. "Tyler! W-Who was it?"

"Danica... Danica and Lucas." Elena gasped out a choking sob as he hand flew to her mouth. Tyler walked up to her and took her in a friendly, grieving embrace. They pulled apart minutes later both with teary eyes. Elena sniffed. taking in a breath of fresh air before exhaling loudly. "We should meet up with the pack, they're probably already gathered and ready to go." Elena shoved Tyler lightly, when he moved to push her back she pranced out of his reach laughing as he tried to grab her. She stuck her tongue out childishly at him before sprinting out the front door. She heard feet pounding, and sensed that Tyler was only a few feet behind her. Sending a quick mocking glance over her shoulder she noticed that Tyler was breathing heavily. She laughed turning around to run backwards. She wasn't even breaking a sweat. "How are you not even sweating?" Tyler heaved out in between gasps. Elena laughed before jogging in pace with Tyler. "Geez, Ty... What happened to mister Varsity star football player. The guy that to MVP every other game? 'Cause I'm not seeing him right now." The former football player scowled at the petite girl. Elena stopped running grabbing her knees with her hands, regaining the minimal breath she lost during the sprint. Tyler stopped and looked at her in question to why she had stopped. "Let's shift. The pack is just in the clearing up ahead." Elena gestured toward the still vast foliage surrounding them.

Tyler cocked an eyebrow wondering how Elena knew where the pack had gathered for the mourning run. Elena touched her ear twice saying that she could hear them a few hundred metres away. "Okay. Meet you over there in a few." Tyler waved before heading off to Elena's right. She nodded at him before going behind a tree to strip and phase into her wolf form. She followed the scent of her pack to where they stood I'm the meadow. Everyone moped around, ears low and tails swishing. Eyes held more grief than Elena could even describe. She slowly walked up to the largest wolf in the pack, dense black coat shimmering in the light rays that shone down on them all. She licked under his jaw, and he returned the gesture licking her ear fondly. Klaus howled gaining every pack members attention. Elena stood at his side, so close that they're fur brushed. The contrast between the two utterly stumped Elena. How could two people that are almost polar opposites be mates?

Klaus pushed his muzzle into her side regaining her attention. She zoned back in to see that it was only her and Klaus in the field. 'Come on love.' Klaus started trotting away from Elena, she growled softly before taking off after him. Together they quickly caught up to the pack. As Tyler saw his alpha he bowed, graciously backing down from his spot leading the pack. Klaus nodded curtly. Swiftly taking his place at the head of the pack formation. Elena stayed a few steps behind him, but still in front of the rest of the pack.