Six

Geoff's mind was foggy all morning.

"Sir!"

Geoff was snapped out of his daze only to see a woman with full annoyance written on her face in front of him. To make matters worse, there was a line of five more people behind her with a similar look on their faces.

"U-Uh I'm so sorry, how may I help you?" Geoff stuttered, embarrassed he had been daydreaming for so long.

The woman went on to order and then the rest of the line as Sam and the other employee made the drinks.

"Dude, what is up with you today?" Sam whispered next to him, continuing to stir a latte.

"Aw man, I don't know. I guess it's just..." He trailed off.

"Just... What?"

"I kinda, uh, have a date tonight..." He mumbled under his breath, half hoping Sam didn't hear.

"DUDE!" Sam practically yelled.

"Sam, shut the fuck up people are looking!" Geoff sneered quietly.

"Nah dude, I've been fuckin waiting for this day for like, years!!!"

Geoff rolled his eyes, "Yeah yeah..."

"Soooo, is it like a date date?" Sam clicked his tongue.

"I dunno, I think he wants it to be but doesn't want to seem weird and stuff." Geoff shrugged "Which I totally get, since I'm the same way."

"Yeah yeah, I gotchu fam."

The conversation ended there as Sam went to put more orders on the counter. Geoff continued taking orders and thinking about how tonight would go.

~

It was about 5:00 and Awsten hadn't shown up yet. Business had slowed for the day and Geoff and Sam were starting to clean the counters.

"No no no but you don't get it."

"What don't I get, Sam?" Geoff sighed, bored of the ongoing conversation.

"Like, they're used to stir drinks but they look like tiny straws but they're the most shit straws that you can't fucking drink out of so why go through the trouble of putting a tiny hole in the middle when you could just make it a tiny flat fuckin stick?!" Sam ranted, throwing the tiny straws at the wall.

"Tell me again why you're so bothered by this?"

"It's not fuckin okay, man. It's not fuckin okay."

Sam walked away, hot faced.

"You still have to pick those up!" Geoff called back at him, turning to the counter only to be met by a smiling boy with purple hair.

"Damn, why is he so upset about straws?" Awsten laughed.

"You tell me."

"So are you almost ready to go? Or uh, sorry that was stupid of me to ask, of course you're not, you're still working-"

"Hey, slow down. It's okay."

Awsten sighed, nodding at Geoff's reassurance.

"I'm gonna go get ready in the back- Sam! Keep him company!"

"Do I have to?" Sam whined.

Awsten laughed, "I'm sure I can handle him."

~

After spending some fifteen minutes in the employee bathroom fixing his hair in the mirror, Geoff finally decided he looked presentable.

He walked back out to the front of the shop wearing tight black skinny jeans, a graphic tee, his signature jean jacket, and black combat boots.

Awsten stood there, staring off into space while Sam ranted about straws again.

"He never does shut up." Geoff whispered in Awsten's ear, causing him to turn around quickly.

Awsten eyed Geoff up and down, making Geoff blush.

"Wow," He breathed "and I thought I looked good."

Geoff's cheeks were on fire now.

"T-Thanks." He smiled widely.

"So now are you ready to go?"

"Yep! Hey Sam, can you close up?"

"Yeah yeah, I can do it." He whined.

"Man, stop whining."

"Yeah right. Hey, have fun on your DATE!"

"Sam!!!"

"Hey, someone had to say it." He winked at the two.

"Well guess that's a good place to leave this conversation." Geoff said sarcastically, pulling on his jacket.

Awsten smiled, grabbing Geoff's hand and pulling him to the door.

"And we're off!"