Twelve

"A-are you sure it's safe?"

"Yes! It's been frozen for at least a month now! Trust me."

Awsten hesitated, grabbing a large stick off the ground and tossing it onto the ice.

When the stick slid smoothly across the ice, Geoff turned to meet the eyes of the other boy and held up a pair of ice skates.

The frozen pond was hidden behind an orchard that Geoff knew well after coming here many times when he was young.

The two laced up the skates and Awsten watched as Geoff stepped swiftly onto the ice.

Geoff looked down at the boy, raising his eyebrow at him and holding out his hand for him to take.

Awsten smiled, grabbing the older man's hand and following him onto the ice.

Geoff felt the grip on his hand tighten as Awsten leaned into him.

Geoff laughed, "how long has it been since you last did this?"

"Uh, ten years? Jesus, Geoff! Don't let go of me!"

Geoff laughed louder, watching the purple haired boy wobble for a few seconds before slipping and landing on his bum.

"That's not fair! You're being a bully!"

Geoff lifted the boy back to his feet.

"Sorry, sweetheart."

Awsten blushed at the name.

"God, you're adorable when you're flustered."

"You made me like this." Awsten mumbled defensively.

Geoff leaned down and kissed him quickly.

"Here, hold onto me."