Çhâptèr 11

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Jungkook
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
East Side

___________________

"Eat something."

Jimin's sudden voice shakes me out of my daze. I look away from the lake to see him holding out a piece of bread, gesturing for me to take it from him. I should be hungry, since the last time I ate was before I met that agent last night. But somehow, the bread Jimin spent precious money on, wasn't tempting for me.

I took it anyway. I shouldn't waste perfectly good food.

We sit under the pier staring out into the lake that passes the area. We stay close together, not wanting wandering police or workers to see us past the grass and rocks. From where we sat, you could smell the salt in the air, taste it even. The water reflects the street lights above, giving our spot a slight glow. Water wheels and turbines churn along the lake's bank. This is probably the best view you'll get in Lake.

"You still have time." Jimin says, scooting closer towards me. I feel his  arm against mine.

"Probably a month or more. We'll get the cures before then, I'm sure."

For a boy who had no family or home, Jimin always seemed to find the silver lining. I strain a smile for his sake.

"Maybe. Maybe the hospital will let down it's guard for a little while."

I say that, but I know better.

I risked a glance at my mother's house not too long ago. The unusual X is still on her door. My mother and Seokjin seemed fine, able to stand and walk around. But Yujin...this time she lays in her bed with a cloth against her forehead. I could tell even from my distance that she had lost weight and her skin looked paler. When Seokjin and I met, he said that the last time she ate was the last time I came by. I told him to stay away from Yujin's room. Who knows how this disease could be spread. In return, Seokjin told me to stay out of trouble. To "not pull anymore stunts." But, he knows I'm Yujin's only chance.

This disease might end her life before she takes the Test. Maybe it's a blessing in disguise. She would never have to answer pages and pages of those damn multiple choice questions, or survive an interview in front of several impatient officers, or wait in a group, uncertain if her's would return home or be sent off to the so called "labor camps."

If worse comes to worst, the disease would be the most merciful way to go.

I don't know.

"Yujin always gets sick." I say after a while.

"She almost died when she was a baby because of some pox she caught. The soldiers came close to marking the door then, but obviously it wasn't the disease. Seokjin and I never got sick like she did."

Jimin doesn't smile this time.

"I was pretty sick when you first met me. Remember how grimy I looked?"

I suddenly feel guilty about complaining about my problems over the past week. At least I have a family to worry about. I put an arm over his shoulder.

"You did look pretty awful."

Jimin laughs, leaning into my shoulder. It's the same way he always leans on me, ever since the first week I knew him. When I spotted him in an alley.