THE DEATH OF EDWARD PARSON

The King's Ranger Regiment had scoured the forests of Malthar in hopes of discovering any possible enemy encampments. Rogues and Cut-throats roamed about freely in the uninhabited woodlands. Malthar separated Caprecia from the other kingdoms. King Duncan's shipments of tax revenue were often lightly guarded, and a small group of bandits had made off with several gold bearing carts. They had busted open all the wine cask that had shipped with the gold from Caprecia! It was if they wanted to send a message to the king. The poor farmers and servants reveled behind closed doors at King Duncan's expense. They hated him deeply and refused to reveal the identity or whereabouts of the thieves. 1st Lieutenant Ethan Parson commanded the regiment and disliked him as well but never revealed what everyone already knew. His older brother, Sargent Major Edward Parson often accompanied King Duncan on military excursions. And the King had decided to camp near Malthar. As the head Man-at-arms he was a highly skilled swordsman vowed to protect his majesty's life at all costs. On that particular day a secret message tickled the King's ears. An unreliable source provided a map to the base camp used by the bandits. Lieutenant Ethan Parson felt that something was awry about the whole situation. He told the King. "Something Doesn't Smell Right About This!" The King replied. "Perhaps you need to bathe!" And laughter erupted from some soldiers standing near the King. Ethan stared with disbelief and gritted his teeth angrily. "Relax Ethan, a small group of my personal guard will assist me with this raid!" And your brother Edward will be at my backside. We will commence the attack at sunrise! Men make preparations at once! Edward trusted his brother's intuition more than the King's shallow words. "Brother, I feel the same as you!" It must be an ambush. My duties are to serve whoever sits upon that throne. "Turn and look at this so-called king of yours! Ethan points at an already drunken man forcing down wine as if his life depended on it! Just be careful Brother you are older now and a new bride awaits your return. No worries Ethan. None at all. They part ways and seek their bedding. The night creeps in silently and the sounds of snoring join a symphony of crickets. Ethan could not sleep and stared at a crackling camp fire all night. The dawn's orange haze began filtering in slowly. Snorting horses and cold clanging armor signaled the start. The King decided against wearing chain-mail under their plate armor because of the extra weight it carried. Edward disliked this decision but eventually agreed with him. According to the map, a large ravine containing a cave was just to the northwest of camp. King Duncan decided to only bring ten soldiers. The only three that were on horseback were himself, Edward and the King's young squire. As they entered the ravine a strange bird chirping sound could be heard. Sunlight, lazily trickled down to the shadowy forest floor. Some smoke calmly arose from what appeared to be a small fire flickering just ahead. As King Duncan pointed at the fire an arrow whizzed past him and struck a foot soldier in his throat! The blood gurgled forth as the dying man grabbed his throat in vain! The arrows rained down on them without prejudice! It was an ambush! The enemy hid among the trees! They wore the leaves and shrubbery like camouflage! Screams of agony escorted each thump as arrows fond their mark! A large bludgeon shattered the skull of a fleeing soldier! The assailant hid behind a tree and waited for his chance to strike! "Protect Your King!" Wailed King Duncan! His horse fell over with him still astride! Its body impregnated with bolts! "Your Majesty Take Make Horse!" Shouted Edward! The King and the squire quickly mounted the horse without question and rode off! The few remaining soldiers stood with Edward and fought stout-heartedly against paralyzing odds! Arrow after arrow struck Edward as he laid waste to countless bandits in his swords path! A blow from the shoulder down nearly split one in two! As his arms grew tired a beating heart reached out to him......It was his own. The smell of Katherine's skin laced with lavender oil, teased his nostrils even as blood permeated lungs gasped for air. "I Leave This World My Love with Thoughts of You! I will die here in this forest of nothingness!" And I have lost my everything......... Edward drops to one knee as a battle ax severs his spine!