Chapter 13: Colloquy on AU

THIRD PERSON

"Nervous?" Dr. Frondoja asked while fixing her coat as she glanced to Dr. Aguillard sitting on a bench.

"A bit," sagot naman ni Dr. Aguillard.

"Well, don't be. We're here to help you. Don't worry, it'll be okay." Binigyan siya ng ngiti ni Dr. Frondoja.

"I don't know where to start."

"You do." Lumapit si Dr. Frondoja kay Dr. Aguillard saka siya nito binigyan ng isang tapik sa balikat bago lumabas sa locker room nilang mga doktor.

Dr. Aguillard heaved a sigh. This is the day that they have been waiting for. They're going to present the case of Genevieve Hutton to the board members of the hospital. Pumikit siya nang mariin at kinalma ang sarili niya. Tumayo siya at agad na lumabas sa locker room. As he entered the conference hall, everyone greeted him with applause and standing ovation. Nakarating siya sa unahan na may mini stage saka tumapat sa mikropono.

"Everyone, good day! Please, have a seat," panimula ni Dr. Aguillard sa mga nasa loob ng conference hall. "I decided to call a meeting today because I need the approval of the board members especially the director of this hospital, sir," Dr. Aguillard paused for a while to greet the director of the hospital. "To use all the possible equipment that this hospital have to treat my patient. I'm also here to discuss to you about the case of my patient. I need your help, that's why."

Biglang umingay ang buong paligid nang marinig nila ang sinabi ni Dr. Aguillard. Siguro dahil alam na rin ng ibang taong nasa ospital na ito ang kakaibang kaso ng pasyenteng si Genevieve Hutton.

"Dr. Aguillard."

Natahimik agad ang buong paligid nang magsalita ang director.

"Sir?"

"Are you going to use even the new but dangerous equipment that this hospital have? Wala pang nakakasubok sa ilang kagamitang iyon. And how sure are you that it's effective?"

"Yes, Sir. As much as possible, all the equipment that I'll need to treat my patient. It's a win-win situation."

"Are you sure about that, Dr. Aguillard? What if the chance is only one percent? Are you still going to proceed?"

Sandaling natahimik si Dr. Aguillard dahil sa tanong sa kanya ng direktor.

"Hangga't may chance kahit na 0.01%, I will still do it for the sake of my patient. That's the job of the doctors."

"For the sake of your patient? How? This is between life and death you are talking about, Dr. Aguillard. What if you fail? What will happen to the patient? What will happen to the reputation of our hospital? Do you think this is just a joke to you? Gagamitin mo ang ilan sa mga kagamitan ng ospital na wala pang kasiguraduhan. Masyadong nakakabahala. Our specialists are still working on it and you know that," paliwanag naman sa kanya ng direktor.

"Sir, this is not about life and death. Although, it can be. But, this is about a survival and success. If we succeed, the patient will survive and going to live again just like her past life. All we need to do is to think positive in order to save the patient."

"Positive thinking is not the case here, Dr. Aguillard. Hindi uubra ang positibong pag-iisip kung hindi ginagamit nang mabuti ang isip sa kakaibang paraan sa pagpapagaling ng pasyente. You should think before you act. Think differently. Think of the possible consequences if you take the risk. Think of your patient. What will be the best way to treat your patient? And what will be the suitable treatment and medications for her? Possibilities, Dr. Aguillard."

"Thank you for your advice, Sir Freigh. But, I already made up my mind. Matagal ko itong pinag-isipan. Hindi naman ako gagawa ng mga bagay na ikasasama ng pasyente ko. All we need to do is to try and see the miracle. Imposible man o hindi, gagawin ko." Dr. Aguillard smiled and he received a round of applause from the audience.