Ch 1 Anastasia

I knew I had a bad feeling the moment I stepped on this train. It felt like one of those days where you knew something was going to happen. I sat holding the letter my grandmother wrote for me with tears forming in my eyes. She was such a brave and strong woman. She was sick for a very long time, but I never would have thought that she'd leave so soon.

 I closed my eyes and let the tears flow out trying not to make a sound so I don't disrupt the people sitting across from me on the train. Reaching into the envelope I pulled out the ring she would wear, placing it on the ring finger of my left hand. She was so special to me and taught me so much about life. I learned what its like to be a strong independent black woman.

I can't imagine how sad she was when I told her I was leaving. She said she was happy for me, but looking in her eyes, I could tell she was upset about it. I didn't have a choice, it was time for me to go and do something with my life.

I spent years in Canada, but was so unhappy. I have so many dreams and goals that I want to accomplish, but to satisfy my family, I put it aside and stayed home. I was to afraid to confront them about how I felt, when I finally did, they disagreed and it turned into a big argument. 

That was the last time I had seen them. I stayed with my best friend who helped me get a train ticket to New York. I'll be staying at his apartment that he has for emergencies when he needs to get away. In New York I will start a new life, and have a fresh start. I want to focus on my career.

 I really wasn't the type to have a lot of friends, I was loved by a lot of people, but I kept to myself. I was shy at first, but eventually I came out of my shell and became super outgoing with people. I tried dated one time but that's a long story.

My first and only boyfriend Derek, was so good looking and kind hearted...at first. He always knew how to make me smile and laugh, and he got along with my family. Everything was perfect until his mom left him and his dad for another man. 

Derek wasn't the same after that. He changed always getting angry at the most random moments. He hated when anyone would talk to me, especially other guys. First we only would argue, I tried to talk to him about his behavior but it only pissed him off more. That's when he started hitting me.

 As time went on he got worse and I broke up with him only making matters worse, he followed me home one night asking me to forgive him and take him back. I said so no, and he attacked me leaving me beaten bad. 

Hours had passed, and someone had eventually found me. He was arrested and I found out he was a wanted criminal. He's been in jail ever since. I spent a few weeks in the hospital because I had few broken ribs, sprained my foot and I also had a concussion.

I promised myself that I would never fall for someone ever again. My grandma was the only one that understood that. I got through it all and i'm much stronger now. "Excuse me miss?" I lift my head too see one of the train waiters standing in front of me with a cup in his hand. "Would you like some hot chocolate? It will make you feel warm."

I smile at him "Sure." I take the cup in my hands and smell it. "Hmmm, it smells amazing." The man was about to walk away but I stopped him. "Wait! what's your name?" 

"Cody, Cody Matthews, nice to meet you."

"Oh okay, well thanks for the hot chocolate Cody."

"It's no problem." He walked away. I feel a buzz from my phone so I pick it up to see who texted me.

Tyler: have you made it yet?

Me: Not yet still have
about 4 hrs until I arrive
Read ... 3:00am
Tyler: Okay sweetheart I'll ttyl luv u

Me: kk luv u 2
Delivered

Tyler is my best friend. Back in Canada we became close our freshman year of high school. He's more of a brother to me now. His father was the CEO of this huge business but he died, so Tyler got his inheritance and became CEO. I can say for a 21 year old he is doing an amazing job with his business. 

I don't know what I would have done if he didn't let me stay with him. He's more of family to me than anyone else. I promised him that when I get back on my feet I'll pay him back for everything. He told me no, but I'm still gonna do it anyway.

I put my phone down, finished my hot chocolate pulling a blanket out my bag, I lift my legs up into the seat and turn over on my shoulder looking out the window of the train watching all the trees and woods pass by. I started  to feel tired so I closed my eyes falling asleep 

Tyler Waters

21 Years old

Cody Matthews

Cody Matthews

22 years old