The Library

Travelling alone with Yoongi isn't as awkward as Jimin had initially thought it would be. The elder is pleasant with him and conversation flows easily. Even when they don't talk it's not a heavy silence, more of a comfortable one.

That being said, Jimin really hates the cold sometimes. In weather like this it's not easy for Yoongi to hunt for them, and towns are few and far between this far north. They'd stocked up on supplies earlier in the journey, but they're starting to run low and Jimin doesn't know what they'll do once they reach The Library.

They're looking out of ruins, as that's what the seer had told them The Library would look like. Jimin isn't sure how that's supposed to help them, even if there is magic rooted there.

"Hey silver," Jimin hides a smile at the way Yoongi addresses him. The fire user has refused to call him by the fake name, Chim, since he found out about Jimin being a god. "Do you see something through the trees there?"

"Do you think it could be The Library?"

"S'pose there's only one way to find out." Yoongi guides them through the thick snow, cursing slightly because of the cold. "Gods, why couldn't this place be closer to some kind of road?"

"I don't think it would be a secret sanctuary place then."

"Don't sass me, old man- oh."

The seer was wrong. Or maybe they're in the wrong place- but the way this place feels has Jimin believing the seer was wrong. There is no great Library, but there also isn't ruins. There's just a crumbling archway with grand doors two to three times taller than Jimin.

There's something about these doors that feels familiar to Jimin. It's like when he'd released all the magic he'd stored up to free humans, and also like how it felt to be inside the seer's caravan. This place houses something far more ancient than the gods.

"This is it."

"I can tell. The doors feel like they're giving off some sort of energy, like it's pulsing."

"That's the ancient magic. You wouldn't have encountered it before." Jimin blinks with realization. "What are we supposed to do now?"

Yoongi frowns slightly and shrugs. They approach the doors and walk around them in a circle, trying to figure out exactly what their supposed to do now that they're at The Library. The doors are covered in runes, most of which are too old for Yoongi to understand but Jimin is able to read some of them that aren't too weathered away.

Jimin leans in close to some of the carvings. "These ones are listing the gods names. Oh, and over here is a welcoming message. I can't find any that say what we're supposed to do, though."

"That makes sense. The witch said The Library hid itself from the gods, so they probably don't know how to get in."

"Seer."

Yoongi pointedly ignores Jimin. "Lets try opening the doors."

"Why?"

"Because staring at them isn't doing us any good, dumbass."

Jimin pouts at Yoongi's words but moves to take the handle of one side of the door while the fire user takes the other. He strains his muscles with the effort it takes to open the door, and from the gasps next to him Yoongi is doing the same. They're only able to move the doors open a few feet before their strength gives out and they're laying in the snow, gasping.

Eventually Jimin is able to get his strength back and stands up. He glances at the now slightly open doorway and his lips part in surprise.

"Hyung? Are you seeing this?"

"All I'm seeing right now is white." Yoongi says from where he's buried in the snow still.

"Well you might want to look up. I think your idea worked." As the grumpy man raises his head Jimin approaches the entrance way. "It's glamoured. The Library glamoured itself. That kind of magic- it's- it's insanely powerful, Hyung."

Yoongi stands. "I know. I sense it. It's like opening it opened up a whole other level of power- I think I might get drunk off of it."

Jimin nods in agreement, he feels the exact same way. Every moment that passes makes him feel more and more dizzy with power. "No wonder the gods became so power hungry, if I was surrounded by this I think I would lose my mind too."

Yoongi glances at him, concern written all over his face. "Are you sure you want to do this? Whatever this even is. It could be dangerous."

"I need to have my name back- and beyond that it sounds like the world is in danger. I didn't just sit back and let it happen last time and I'm not going to do that this time."

"Alright. I'm coming with you, though. I don't exactly trust the whole sentient magical building thing. Especially one that feels this powerful or looks that dark." He peers into the room. "I can barely make anything out."

"Luckily you have a magic light source. Right?"

He nods and raises his hand, allowing a kernel of fire to swell and grow in his palm. Slowly they inch their way into the room, their hands on the handles of their respective blades and their eyes searching for any sign of danger.

Jimin swallows a gulp of air as he feels the ancient magic build and circle aren't them, pulling his senses tight. He reaches his hand out to Yoongi, fearing the magic pulling away but just as their skin touches darkness envelops him.

He gasps and lurches back, falling onto the ground. "Hyung! Yoongi Hyung!" He claws at the air and ground, trying to gain some sort of purchase. The ancient magic pushes against him in waves, filling in every crack of his being.

Jimin bites his lip to escape the pain of being filled with something so ancient, trying to stop himself from crying out. Tears stream down his face as he lies, prone, on the ground. He feels his teeth break the skin of his lip and the gush of blood in his mouth.

If anything, Jimin had expected some sort of being to grant him with a test of his morality, not an onslaught of pain from the void. He grits his teeth against the pain and decidedly pushes back. Seeming satisfied the darkness retreats, leaving Jimin there, vulnerable on the ground.