Chapter Eleven

The car journey to the ice rink was... awkward to say the least. Especially since Betty and Jughead were both left to cramp into the backseat together, exchanging awkward side glances and eye contact the whole ride. Betty had never been more embarrassed in her life, and part of that was because she liked Jughead and she had just completely humiliated herself.

When they got there, Betty was not prepared for how cold it would be. She definitely did not expect to be going to an ice rink while here but hey, life is full of unexpected and unpleasant surprises. So, she had to make do with a sweater and jeans, freezing her arms and legs. Once they all got in and got their skates on, everyone went on to the rink. Betty immediately regretted leaving the house. There was absolutely no way she could do this. So she stood at the wall and held on, not moving anywhere.

She noticed Veronica struggling a little, but Sweet Pea glided along with her, helping her keep balance and holding on to her as they both laughed and joked. Betty sighed. She could never get the hang of this, definitely not by herself. She'd only fall and embarrass herself even more. So she got off the ice and took a seat on the viewing benches, taking out her phone to keep her occupied. She took the occasional glance up to spot Veronica and Sweet Pea, Veronica was getting better and laughing and smiling while she skated with Sweet Pea. She also spotted Jughead, he was pretty good too. He skated round the ring at a good speed, gliding past everyone. She felt left out, but she wasn't prepared to skate.

When Betty looked up next, she spotted Jughead, gliding along with a girl. They were both talking, and she spotted Jughead cracking some joke and the girl laughing. Jughead smiled and Betty didn't know what happened. Some sort of jealousy came over her and she felt angry. It coursed through her veins and she didn't want it to, but she couldn't stop it. She wanted to walk straight up and send the girl on her way, but she couldn't. Jughead wasn't hers. He had the right to talk to other girls. She wasn't his girlfriend, hell, she wasn't even sure friend was the correct word. They were just two acquaintances, forced to stay in the same house together because of their best friends, and the only reason they knew, and still continued to talk to each other was because they were tutor partners. Jughead was her student. Certainly not her boyfriend. She caught eyes with him, and he looked at her, but she quickly looked back down at her phone, praying he would leave it alone.

"Betty!"

She jumped and looked up, noticing Jughead standing leaning over the barrier calling to her.

"You coming?" He asked her.

She immediately shook her head,
"This isn't my idea of a good time."

"Live a little, Betty. Don't just sit there the whole time, come on."

Betty didn't budge. Instead she looked down again. Jughead rolled his eyes in exaggeration, and then came off the ice and sat beside her.

"Why won't you come on?" He questioned.

Betty looked over at him.
"I can't skate," she said, embarrassed, "I'll just humiliate myself and fall."

"Really?" Jughead said, "Come on, you won't. I'll help you. I won't let you fall, Betts. I'll teach you how to be a pro like me. Then Veronica and Sweet Pea will be eating our dust."

Betty laughed at him. Although he was a complete asshole, he was funny. And he always made her laugh, even when she didn't want to laugh at him, or when she was annoyed at him.
He laughed back at her.

"You really think I trust you?" Betty queried.

"I'd like to think so," Jughead answered.

"Please," Betty said as she rolled her eyes playfully, "I wouldn't trust you with a toothbrush."