Chapter Two

I stepped into our house compound after they dropped me, and the familiar scent of incense and food wafted into my nose. I hurried to the kitchen and found Mami Fatima, my mother's youngest sister, who I was staying with while I studied away from school.

"Addaaa! I'm back. Good afternoon."

She eyed me playfully. "You didn't even say your salam. How was school?"

"Fine, Mami. That Zara's monster dropped me home."

"This girl. Afaan is a very nice young man, very respectful. Are you sure you're not crushing on him? He's such a gentleman, and you're always ranting about him."

"Eh, no way, Mami. God forbid. Let me go and take my bath so that I can ingest this delicious food of yours."

"Ingest is not a word," she yelled after me, adding a playful touch to our banter.

I turned and walked to my room, dropped my bag, and checked my phone. I had nine missed calls: five from Zara, two from Munira, and two from an unsaved number.

After a soothing bath and my evening prayers, I picked my phone and decided to call Zara first. It rang once, and she picked.

"What's up with the five missed calls?"

"Ahh, babes, can't a girl call her girl? I miss you, that's it. Bye." She laughed and hung up, leaving me chuckling.

Next, I dialed Munira's number, and she picked up almost instantly.

"Yo! What's up? I'm at Scorpion Arena. Are you coming?"

I sighed dramatically, "I just came back from school, Munny. I'm super exhausted, but I'll make it up to you."

"I'm with Tahir."

"Say hi to him," I replied before hanging up, grinning at the thought of their usual antics.

Then, I called the unsaved number. A smooth, deep male voice answered and called my name.

"Afrah."

"Hello, Afrah," he spoke again.

"Who's this, please?" I asked with playful curiosity.

"Save my name as Mr. No Name."

He replied and abruptly ended the call, leaving me puzzled and a bit amused. I shrugged off the mysterious call and made my way downstairs to enjoy Mami Fatima's delicious meal, feeling the warmth of home and friends.

"SOMETIMES LIFE IS ABOUT RISKING EVERYTHING FOR A DREAM NO ONE CAN SEE BUT YOU 💕🧠"