Chapter Five

AFRAAH'S P.O.V

My Fridays are usually so boring , a lecture free day filled with boredom, after binge-watching movies like "Underworld" and "Lucy." I was still restless, I decided to go into Mami's room, I met her on her bed tapping away and we delved into discussions about Nigeria's economic challenges, fashion, and more.

As we chatted, I gave a piggyback ride to Ablah, Mami Fati's 's 10-month old. We decided to whip up some ice cream mocha midway through our conversation while engrossed in the conversation, Munira FaceTimed me and I answered.

"Hello there! How are you, and what's new?" I asked.

Munira's voice came through the screen, "Not much, I'm heading over to Zara's house. Are you coming?"

I pondered for a moment, assessing my boredom levels, the oppressive grip of boredom made the decision for me. "You know what? Pick me up in 30 minutes."

"Excellent! Get ready swiftly. I'll inform Zara that we're on our way," she replied before ending the call.

I had just enough time for a brisk shower, deciding on an outfit was a rush job and I settled for a simple Zara pencil skirt paired with a black top and rolled a red veil. As always, the choice of perfume was always a dilemma , but I sprayed Rehlat Malika. I grabbed my red Chanel bag, earpods, and charger, then headed to inform Mami Fatima about my visit to Zara's.

She requested that I take Ablah with me. Because Uncle Abbas, her husband was returning today, and she needed time to cook and prepare for his arrival. Ablah looked adorable in her black tutu skirt and a matching black glittered crop top. Her beautifully packed curly hair made it impossible for me to say no.

After picking up Ablah's baby bag, I headed outside, where Muntaz was waiting in her car.

Muntaz playfully teased, "why are you matching outfits with my beau? Please take the wheel, Afrah. I'm exceptionally fatigued today," she pouted.

We found Zara waiting for us in the driveway. A playful debate ensued between them over who was going to carry Ablah at the end Ablah's sleepiness made me the chosen one and we made our way upstairs to Zara's room.

"So what's up Zeeboo , what have you been doing in this house ?"i asked playfully referring to her by the nickname she disliked , "Zeeboo."

Before Zara could reply , someone called from outside, "Assalamu alaikum, Zara, I'm leaving..." Zara was about to reply when the door gently pushed open.

With my back turned, I sensed his presence before turning around to find the 'monster' himself. He looked incredibly dashing in his black caftan.

"In about 30 minutes," he continued.

"ya afaan nyenlli jamna".

He acknowledged Munira's greeting with a polite "Jam muntaz, noi?"

"Jam, koo dume" (fine, thank you).
Munira answered back looking at me with raised brows waiting for me to greet him as well which I ignored.

His Fulani was fluent and so well organized, it sounded like a foreign language in his mouth.

"Cute baby" he remarked and then turning to me , he added "Munira tell your friend to work on her greetings" with that, he walked away

I replied to his parting words with a playful "Yen yen," and Muntaz added, "Dama ya ji ki,".

Our light banter continued, becoming a source of amusement and diversion from the awkwardness of the initial encounter. I then turned to Zara, making a request for a change of clothe because I was feeling uncomfortably warm and had worked up an appetite.

"Glutton , I'm not going downstairs , you can go alone".

"You want your brother to ask me who gave me the permission to cook in his house, i'm cooking Pounded yam and egusi soup , by the way, so it's fine if you don't want to go " I added picking my phone and smirking knowing it's both their favorite food.

"You really want to cook ? Ah Lord in heaven thank you ,we rarely get such generous offers especially not from Afrah, of course we'll come downstairs with you who are we to say no to such a tempting offer?. "

I walked ahead taking videos of us walking together teasing them of how they didn't want to help and join me downstairs till I mentioned Food yet they claim I'm the glutton.

Suddenly, my phone slipped from my grip and I heard a man's voice exclaim "Ouch".

My gaze remained fixed on my shattered phone, which lay helpless on the ground. When I looked up, I found a man who bore a striking resemblance to Ya Afaan, although his complexion was slightly lighter.

"I'm in trouble. How will I ever repay you for this?" he said, clutching his chest in mock distress, as he blamed me for his predicament smiling.

I offered to retrieve my phone, but he insisted on picking it up. To my surprise, my phone was shattered but still operational. Munira and Zara approached, greeting the stranger.

"Ya mahmud nyenlli jamna?" (good afternoon).

"Ya Zara," he replied, mimicking her tone. Their cheerful exchange brought laughter.

"I see you've met Ya Mahmud , We call him Uncle Bulls cause of his love for Red Bulls , he's ya Afaans Bestfriend , a pilot and did I mention single? " she introduced winking at both I and Munira.

Mahmud was both humorous and modest, and we all laughed heartily. Just as Ya Mahmud was about to reply, Afaan appeared interrupting the conversation.

"I've been waiting for you outside for over 40 minutes and you're here Fan boying " he pointed out.
A lecturer who doesn't know fanboying is not a word I thought smiling.

Bulls whispered to us, "Girls, close your ears, this killjoy is here."We all giggled with me joining in the loudest and longest just to annoy him.

Afaan looked at me up and down, probably with the intention of embarrassing me further , Bulls lightened the mood by introducing himself in a gentlemanly manner, and I replied with a warm smile.

"I'm delighted to make your acquaintance, beautiful," he said, addressing me.

With a warm smile, I responded, "And I'm delighted to meet you as well."

With that they both left and we moved to the kitchen.

"How many times
do I have to tell you
even when you're crying
you're beautiful too"❤️💕