Chapter Four

AFAANS POV
I'd never fallen for a girl the way I had for Afrah. Ever since the day she stepped into our house to visit my sister Zara, I found myself inexplicably drawn to her. It wasn't that I was checking her out, but Afrah was the embodiment of beauty. She had a warm, chocolate complexion, long lashes, a pointed nose, and pink lips that complemented her face perfectly. It made me question my perspective and my preference for lighter skin. I caught myself rubbing my sideburns, wondering when I had become so enamored with someone's appearance.

I was snapped out of my thoughts when Bulls, my best friend , barged into my office. He banged on my table, bringing me back to reality. I couldn't help but be annoyed by his intrusion.

"What's on your mind?" he laughed, clearly amused by my distraction.

I gave him a stern look. "Do you even know how to knock?"

He laughed again. "I was just about to knock your door down. Your sexy secretary couldn't keep her eyes off me."

I rolled my eyes and tried to focus on my work. Bulls was the only person who could speak to me with such disregard for formalities, and he took full advantage of it.

"Have you told the girl you like her, or are you being your typical Afaan?" he prodded.

I ignored his teasing and continued working. "Well, 'Tsaya Kallon ruwa kwado'

What does that even mean bro?

He shrugged, unfazed. "I don't know. Get a Hausa dictionary."

I crumpled a piece of paper and tossed it at him, but he dodged it with a triumphant shout and left the room.

As he exited, he couldnt resist one last taunt.

See, you cant even hit me in your own office!

I shook my head and smiled. Bulls, whose full name is Mahmud Makarfi, is not just my best friend but also my cousin and a part-time lecturer. He's a character, to say the least, and our banter often made the office more bearable.

I wrapped up my work and checked the time – it was nearly 5:30 PM. I powered down my laptop and headed out, acknowledging people with brief nods and glances.

I reached home around 7:30 PM after dropping Bulls off at his place. Thoughts swirled in my mind as I considered the nature of girls' attention-seeking antics. That's why I'm often labeled as stubborn and egoistic. But the truth is, I appreciate a lady who carries herself with class and dignity. I sighed and decided to start packing. I had to leave Katsina early the next morning, and the thought of heading to Kaduna to see my mother made me anxious.

My mother Is eager to see her grandkids, and it weighed heavily on my mind. I wasn't ready for that yet, but I hoped that Allah would guide me in the right direction.

Before I end this chapter, allow me to introduce myself. I am Afaan Manir Miko, the firstborn of Alhaji Manir Miko, a wealthy business tycoon, and Hajiya Rabi Dallah. I have three siblings: Adhar, who's studying medicine in London, Faysal, who's studying mechanical engineering in London as well, and Zarah, our youngest.

I've always been the quiet one in the family, someone who doesn't tolerate disrespect and prefers to keep to himself. Growing up in a wealthy household, I've been focused on my business pursuits.