Chapter 9

Derek's POV

I woke up the day after sex with James feeling fulfilled by life. Everything was right in the world. Birds were singing and the sun was shining.

Some people might've called what James and I did a booty call. But no. It was so much better than that. If it was great enough to leave me feeling completely rejuvenated and loving life, then it was definitely more meaningful than a booty call.

I grabbed my phone to text James. Had fun last night, I typed. Can we get lunch today maybe?

James: no, derek. Lunch isnt sexy. What we're doing is just sex, got it?

Okay, maybe it was a booty call.

Me: fine...but i can see you today right?

James: yeah for sex

I sure as hell wasn't going to complain about that. I sent him back a confirmation and rolled my eyes when Ryan's face popped up on my phone screen.

I answered with a sigh. "Hi little buddy."

"Aw, I love when you nickname me!" Ryan squealed. I pulled the phone further from my ear. "So you and James went out for dinner together, huh?"

He sounded obnoxiously excited. "Yup, we really hit it off."

"Look at my best friend with a new best friend!" he whined. "Should I be jealous?"

"Oh, please," I snorted. "You know you're irreplaceable, Ry."

"True that! So anyway, what do you think of James? I like the idea of you two getting closer, so that you can tell him all your juicy secrets that you never tell me," he chirped.

Yeah, Ryan could be weird.

"I like James, but I don't have any secrets."

"Oh please! Secrets about sex, Der Der. You never tell me anything! Maybe my suite mate can be like your little sex diary."

"I'm endlessly confused by you," I admitted. Although it made some sense, on some abstract level, that I'd tell my sexual secrets to the guy I was actually having sex with. "Is this a roundabout way of saying that James and I should be open and honest about sex?"

There was a sizable pause in conversation after my question. Well, sizable for Ryan. It was maybe two seconds tops. "...Yeah, sure! Totally. I mean yeah, those are kind of serious words, but yeah! Tell him everything!"

Maybe James mentioned wanting communication? He was Ryan's suite mate, after all. "Hey Ryan, I gotta go," I said. "I need to call James."

"Yay—! Bye, babe!"

"Bye."

I hung up on Ryan to dial James' number. He picked up on the first ring. "Hey, James. Great to hear you after last night."

"I don't really have time for sweet talk. What's up?" were his first words. For a guy who had sex with me, James was very distant.

"I want to have open and honest communication about sex with you."

"Yeah listen, I have like a major quiz that I should probably be studying for, plus a homework assignment due at two, and I'm trying to eat a salad right now and you're—"

"James, please. Ryan told me I should do this," I explained, hoping he'd catch my meaning. If James said something about wanting to communicate about sex with Ryan, I wanted to do that for him. He was clearly shy about asking me himself, but I wasn't shy at all.

"Ohhh, right," James said, as if something had just clicked in his brain. "Yeah, okay. Let's talk about sex. Um, what do you like the best in guys?"

"I was thinking more discussion about sexually transmitted infections," I said.

"I'm eating a SALAD."

"James, please. I'm clean. I wouldn't mind being tested if you want to keep having sex with me, though. The last time I was tested was a year ago, so I can imagine you'd want me to get retested."

"I'm really only interested in how you like your dick sucked," James said, voice a little bit tight. I wanted to be able to see his face to truly understand what was going on in his head. "That's what Ryan meant when he said we should have open and honest communication about sex."

"Why, did he tell you that?" I wondered.

"Well...no, not really, but still. I know Ryan. He's like that."

Aw, how cute. James was clearly too shy to admit to wanting to talk about sex with me, so he was putting all of the blame on Ryan. I kind of liked modest men. "It's okay, we can talk about that then. What do you want to know?"

"What kind of guys are you into?"

I smirked. James definitely liked me a little more than he was letting on. "Well, I like cute jocks with brown hair and beautiful eyes," I told him. "They're best with a small chip on their shoulders too. Oh and I love when they play hard to get, it makes the win sweeter."

"Great, that last part was creepy. So not Ryan then?"

"Are you worried that I like Ryan?" I asked, amused. It was weird that James was acting weirdly territorial, but I wasn't about to complain. I liked him already, even though it had only been a few days so far.

"No, I'm not worried, asshole. I have a class in a few, so we'll talk later. I have more questions."

Before I could object, my maybe-booty-call, hopefully future boyfriend, hung up the phone.