Chapter 15

Derek's POV

I missed James. It had only been a day since I'd seen him, but I really wanted to see him again. After I left Ryan's dorm, I finished up my day of classes. The second I had some free time, I sent James a text.

He didn't respond for another hour, and when he did it wasn't the kindest answer. He basically told me to screw off.

Well, with James I needed to be straightforward. He was busy trying to hide his true feelings for me through questions Ryan had sent him to ask me. Clearly he didn't have time to bluntly talk about his emotions.

Me: Please spend time with me? I'm lonely

James: Not today Derek

I decided to take a new approach. I called him.

James picked up on the first ring, which was promising. Then he said, "You need to leave me alone," which was not in any way promising.

"James! You're leaving me high and dry. I miss y—"

"There's no way you're dry after your fun day with Ryan today," he grumbled.

Huh. Weird. "Are you jealous of Ryan?" I asked. "You sound kind of bitter towards him right now."

"No, fuck you," James snapped. "Of course I'm not bitter towards Ryan, I like that kid. I'm just saying that, you know, since you're having so much fun with Ryan, you don't need to be talking to me anymore."

He was totally jealous of Ryan.

I couldn't hold back my delighted grin. "James, what you and I have is a totally different relationship than what I have with Ryan."

There was silence on the line before James said, significantly softer than before, "I know that. What we have is sex. What you and Ryan have is more complex than that."

Well, I supposed friendship was more complex than sex. "I guess so. But I'd like to deepen our relationship too, you know."

"You've already been pretty deep in there, if you know what I mean," James drawled. I snorted. "I think we're all set."

He was pushing me away again. But this time, I wasn't going to have it. "I want to get dinner with you at Texas Roadhouse for real tonight."

James was quiet for a few seconds, before saying, "Obviously there won't be any sex after. I'll go to dinner with you, but as a friend."

On what bizarre planet was he living where two people who'd had sex went to dinner in a platonic way. And also, why was it obvious that we weren't having sex? "Well, if that's your boundary then I respect it. No sex, only friendship."

"Okay. Great. Pick me up at six."

Then I was left with the repetitive dial tone telling me that the man of my dreams had hung up on me.

I had about two hours, so I hopped in my car and drove home. I picked out my nicest shirt and my best cologne. I spiffed up my hair and made sure I was looking fly as hell before driving back to campus.

I was a little early, but when I texted James he said he was ready. A smile made its way onto my face without my consent when I saw him walking my way. He was in a fancy red sweater and khaki pants, and he was looking like a perfect Hollister model with his tousled hair.

James plopped into my passenger seat and gave me a surprisingly carefree grin. "Sup, dude."

Ah.

It was this random new attempt at friendship.

I grabbed his hand and kissed it. "Hello, buddy." James rolled his eyes, but he didn't object. I was in the clear.