Chapter 10

James

"So what do you want me to ask him again?" I asked Ryan, trying to ignore the slight pounding right between my eyes. Being around Ryan always seemed to create that reaction, especially when he was excited about something.

"I'm so glad our plan worked!" he squealed. "And it's no big deal that I'm not Derek's physical type, since personality is really what matters the most. I need you to start asking questions about what he wants from a guy emotionally."

I gripped the bridge of my nose. "And why should I be doing this?"

"Because you have to do it for me, babe!" he pouted, batting his eyelashes at me. He even decided to rest his head on my shoulder, causing Noah to scoff.

"Can he please get out of our room?" Noah begged, sending daggers Ryan's way. "He's making our room smell fruity."

Ryan crossed his noodle arms and glared back with nearly double the ferocity. "Was that a gay joke?"

"No, it was a jab at your strawberry watermelon scented perfume that's suffocating me slowly," he drawled. Ryan blushed, probably frustrated, and continued glaring. Noah scratched his neck beard and went back to reading on his phone.

"Anyway, can we just finish this up?" I complained. "I get that I'm supposed to be the CIA for you, but aren't you worried that Derek's going to get the wrong idea?"

"What do you mean?" Ryan asked.

"Well...you know. After dinner and...everything else, he might be concerned that I'm asking about his emotional attachment to see if he likes me," I muttered, not seeing how Ryan couldn't see the possible misconception.

Ryan laughed. "Obviously that won't happen, James, haven't you ever done something like this? The relationship you have with Derek isn't going to be like that, whether or not you're gay."

I was less concerned about Derek knowing that I'm gay than I was concerned about Derek thinking the sex meant more than it did. Although Ryan seemed pretty confident that it wouldn't be a problem, plus he was definitely the expert in casual sex here. I'd only had one boyfriend in high school, so maybe I was overthinking it. It was probably a given to Derek that our sex was purely a physical thing, not emotional.

Of course it was. It was just sex. Most people didn't think as far into it as I did.

"Alright, you're right," I admitted. "You're sure you're comfortable with me being this close to Derek, right? I know how much you like him."

Ryan rolled his eyes. "Stop overthinking this, Jamesypoo. I want Derek emotionally, okay? What you guys are beginning is completely different. It's not about emotions, you know? I mean you can obviously still be there for him, and of course you can get close enough to learn his secrets, but you'll never have him the way I will." I nodded and Ryan bounced a little bit in happiness before waving cheerily. "Bye, guys!"

Noah didn't bother looking over. Ryan looked a little bit perturbed, but didn't say anything. He left after blowing me a kiss.

"That kid's tapped," Noah said.

"What do you mean?"

"He's just tapped, James. Absolutely fucking crazy. Who manipulates someone into stalking their best friend? I mean there's just something off about this whole situation," Noah said, not even bothering to look up from his phone. "I mean, what's even in it for you?"

"...I get to bone his best friend?"

Noah sighed and rolled over so that he was facing the wall. I took the message and shut up about the whole situation. When I glanced back at my phone, Derek had sent me a bunch of messages.

Ryan's Dude: so we're on for tonight right?

Ryan's Dude: doesnt have to be just sex either you know

Ryan's Dude: i mean im not complaining about sex, im just saying.

Ryan's Dude: cant wait to see you though <3

I rolled my eyes and got back to him, briefly explaining that I was free to come over tonight. I didn't bother addressing the sex thing, but I'd make it clear tonight that I wasn't interested in anything except for sex. And when Ryan had all the information he needed to make Derek his boyfriend, I'd gladly step back and let their relationship happen.

Noah might think that this was a crazy idea, but I couldn't really see anything going wrong.