Chapter 8

Instead of crying all day, Carrie knew she needed to take some steps to clean up the messes she had helped create and make worse. Her and Joey, got back into her SUV that Galindo had dropped off at the scrapyard, and drove off to the butcher shop, rather than Angel's, with EZ following behind. They waited until the shop was empty before heading in. EZ turned the sign to 'closed' and locked the bolt. If anyone had questions about the need for secrecy it would be easy enough to list Carrie, the separation and Joey's paternity secret as the reasons.

"Joey," Carrie said softly to the baby, "Meet your abuelo."

Felipe smiled as she presented the child to him and immediately took his grandson into his arms. "He took the news well?"

"Yeah," Carrie smiled. "He did, all things considered."

"Good to hear," Felipe said bouncing the child gently in his arms.

"We have to talk Pop," EZ said mournfully. "This isn't just a little family get together."

Felipe huffed, pressing a kiss to his grandson's temple, and handed him back to Carrie. "What is it?"

"Angel and I have been together for a while," Carrie admitted as if it was still some secret. "But I guess lately we've been less careful and someone saw us."

"One of Galindo's guys saw her," EZ said quickly.

"We had a bit of a dramatic morning," Carrie said timidly.

"What happened?" Felipe said forcefully.

Carrie looked at EZ who took the lead on it. "Galindo grabbed Carrie, questioned her in front of the club, and Angel. They know about her connection to Jimenez."

"Connection," Felipe scoffed. "They're married."

"Separated," she corrected him. "As of yesterday."

It was worse than Felipe realized when she had told him about Joey's paternity, she was leaving Kevin now, undoubtedly for Angel. "This is bad."

"It's not that bad," she stuttered.

"It is," Felipe grumbled. "Galindo knows Kevin now, he knows there's a link and a man like that will not leave it alone, he will dig until he has gone as deep as he can."

"And if he digs," EZ sighed heavily.

"He finds us," Carrie stammered, "Eventually."

"Did you know about this?" Felipe asked EZ.

"No," EZ said staunchly.

"Look, Felipe," she said anxiously. "I know I fucked up but I've been in love with your son for years. I was trying to help EZ because I care about him and because I was terrified someone I love would get hurt. I didn't think it through, not this far, and I never thought," she huffed and shook her head.

Disappointed and furious, Felipe shook his head and waved his hand in her direction as if to dismiss her. "We'll clean it up," he said as he walked into the back of the shop.

"It's okay," EZ said to Carrie.

"It's not," she whimpered. "He's right, I'm an idiot."

"It doesn't matter if you helped me or not," EZ said to her, "It was your connection to Angel that got you caught. Even if you had no clue about my deal, shit even if I didn't make a deal, we'd still be in this spot."

Carrie hung her head. "Yeah, I guess," she said.

"He's scared," EZ said quietly. "It'll be fine, this isn't your fault."

Carrie looked at him and nodded. "Maybe not but I sure as fuck made it worse. Come on, I need some sleep and a shower."