Chapter 26

A few days went by, the same routine proving a good bit of consistency, until one evening Angel arrived at the hospital to find Carrie dressed and out of bed.

"Hey," he said with concern, "Sit down, Car."

"I'm good," she beamed. "How are my boys?"

"We're good," Angel said cheerfully. "Are they letting you out?"

"Finally yeah!"

Angel pulled her into a hug with him and Joey, kissing her forehead then their son's. "The baby's okay?"

"The baby is perfect," Carrie assured him. "My blood pressure has been great for days now. I just have to take it easy and our lives have to kind of slow down."

"I know," he said apologetically. "You're gonna be bored, babe. I promise."

Carrie was indeed bored, she was bored for about thirty minutes until Felipe stopped over. He looked disappointed to see her home, he hoped for more privacy, but he greeted her as he normally did.

"Your color is better today," he remarked. "How are you?"

"Better," she grinned. "I'm happy to be home, it really helps."

"If you ever need a hand around here, you know all you have to do is call."

"That means a lot, thank you," Carrie said. "I'll let you guys talk, I don't think Daddy has bathed this boy all week."

"I thought you weren't supposed to get em' wet," Angel played dumb.

Carrie rolled her eyes before taking her leave although she was dying to know what prompted the unexpected visit.

"What's up, Pop?"

Felipe sighed heavily, looking around the house for a long moment before turning his eyes back to his son.

"She did a good job around here," he remarked.

"Yeah, we still gotta move though, not enough room for the four of us," Angel told his father.

"Growing pains," he smiled wistfully. "I remember when we first found out about you. We made so much space, fixed up the nursery and got your playpen, changing table," he went on. "Then we got you home and you were so small it was ridiculous you'd need all that. Everything changed the moment you were born, it all changed for the better."

Angel scoffed, covering his mouth when he did though, and shook his head. "What is this?"

"I know how you feel when it comes to EZ, I know you feel slighted, second best," Felipe said sadly. "That isn't true. You and EZ have different talents, you're different people, and I don't think we knew how to be the best parents to you, Angel."

The words hit him with unexpected force. Angel nodded as his father spoke, pacing back and forth along the length of the dining room table. He went from sorrowful to enraged and back again.

"Is this some new father pep talk?" Angel asked, looking at his father now. His face was twisted with pain and anger, and confusion deepened the wrinkles in his forehead.

Felipe chuckled a little. "No. Seems fatherhood came more naturally to you than it did to me." He smiled proudly. "You are a good father, especially under the circumstances. You were thrust into a readymade family and you're doing so well. I'm proud of you."

For Angel, the four words were 20 some odd years too late to make the kind of impact he needed but he smiled and nodded at his father. "Thanks, Pop."

"All that being said," Felipe cleared his throat. "As a father, you know, you will do anything to keep your children safe."

"I know," he said immediately thinking of the mess he was living, "I'm seeing that."