Chapter 23

When Angel arrived at the hospital Carrie was already being admitted for an overnight stay. Checking in with the front desk receptionist, Angel was directed to a smaller waiting room where, moments later, the on-call OB found him. His stomach churned, concern for the baby and Carrie sending him into a mini panic.

"Mr. Reyes?"

"That's me," he said eagerly. "How is she?"

"Carrie and the baby look perfect," the doctor explained.

Angel smiled and nodded. "Okay, so, what's going on?"

"Carrie's blood pressure is high, very high, which is never good but being pregnant it's more concerning," he explained.

"Shit," Angel hissed quietly. He knew any stress she was under was directly because of his actions and it crushed him. "I want to keep her for observation, hopefully no longer than about twenty-four hours. We have to be sure her pressure drops and doesn't randomly spike again."

"Yeah," he agreed, "Yeah of course. Can I see her?"

"The nurses are getting her hooked up to the monitors now," the doctor said. "One of them will come to grab you when she's settled."

Angel shook the doctor's hand. "Thanks."

"My pleasure," he said. "I'll be back in a few hours to check on her during rounds."

Taking a seat, Angel text EZ and Bishop to fill them in on the current situation. The former was already asleep on the couch at Angel and Carrie's while Bishop was with the other club members at Vicki's.

"Are you here for Ms. Jimenez?" An older redheaded nurse asked Angel. There wasn't another soul around them but she still spoke in a hushed tone.

"Yeah," he said quickly.

"Come with me," she said sweetly.

"Thanks," he said, slightly skittish.

"Is this your first?" The woman had already asked Carrie but it was an easy and pleasant way to create some comfort between them as she would be caring for Carrie during her short stay.

"No, we have another one, a little boy." The nurse could clearly hear the pride in his voice.

"How sweet," she said with a smile. "She's right in here."

"Thank you," he muttered.

Angel quickly as he hurried into the room. He saw Carrie pouting in the bed, as cute as she looked it made his heart sink. "Hey, you okay?" He immediately kissed her, looking into her eyes to make sure she wasn't about to break down.

"I'm fucking exhausted," Carrie sighed. "EZ with Joey?"

"Yeah, I let Bish know you're in here," Angel told her.

"Good," she grabbed his hand, "You're mine tonight."

"Always yours," he promised her. "Car, about earlier," Angel started.

"Can we not?" She asked him.

Angel huffed. "I think we should, I think we need to clear this up."

"Do I want to know?" Carrie asked him, her eyes locked onto his and full of fear. "Do I want to know what you know? Do I want to know who killed Kevin? Will it bring me peace? Will it change anything?"

"No," he sighed heavily. "No." It might though, it could drastically change both of their lives but he wouldn't say that he couldn't, it would be too obvious.

"Then it's done," Carrie said regretfully. "I trust that what happened to Kevin was to protect me, Joey and this baby. I have to trust that because if I don't, if I think this was strictly because I couldn't stay away from you, the guilt will kill me. I don't want to know about it but I don't have to like it either."